uvb lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

KahliLizard

Hatchling Member
I have been doing some more research about bearded dragons. Before I had gotten a beardie, I had read and heard about uvb, but I let it slip by. Now, I have understand how important it is. So, I have been looking for one, and I need help. What is the best recommended type of cover, and bulb? Thanks! I would like to hear from multiple people what they use.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I had a ReptiSun 10.0 18'' T8 and recently switched to a 34'' HO fixture with an Arcadia HO T5 bulb. The difference is amazing.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Your cage size will determine the bulb and fixture you want. I recommend investing in a decent fixture with a reflector to get the most from the bulbs.

To simplify the bulbs to get:
Florecent: T5 high output fixture with a Arcadia D3+ 12% or Reptisun 10.0
Mercury Vapor Bulb: I understand megaray is the preferred.

Lightyourreptiles.com sells Arcadia bulbs with fixtures
Amazon.com sells reptisun fixtures - you'll need to buy the 10.0 bulb separately as the fixture comes with a 5.0. Amazon also has T5 fixtures for plant growing - a few more options than the reptile branded ones.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The Arcadia MVB's are awesome. After about 2 yrs, I'm still getting a good UVI reading with my Solar Meter. My beardies love the bulbs.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I totally agree that it makes it worth it. The Solar Meter has sure paid for itself too with the $ we've saved. Todd is so awesome to deal with too and is always willing to help in any way he can. :p

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I didn't have to speak with Todd but sure am impressed with the Arcadia T5 and fixture. I need to invest in a solar meter as well. That's next on the list.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I used the T5's before I switched to the MVB's, have been happy with all the Arcadia bulbs. I have the 6.5 meter but I hear the 6.2 is great too.

Wolfeden

Hatchling Member
diamc":2bb7uqv8 said:
I used the T5's before I switched to the MVB's, have been happy with all the Arcadia bulbs. I have the 6.5 meter but I hear the 6.2 is great too.
What distances were you keeping from the T5 bulbs and was the fixture mounted inside the enclosure or on top of screen?

Thanks.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
diamc":1i6t0w6i said:

Diane, What UVI do you keep your basking spot at?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What distances were you keeping from the T5 bulbs and was the fixture mounted inside the enclosure or on top of screen?
Hi, since I had previously used the Repti-Sun 10.0 tube, I had a permanent and stationery basking spot in place within the 6 to 8" distance. So, instead of getting the Arcadia 12% bulb for the tank, I discussed the distance issue with Todd and we both agreed that the 6% would be better since the requirements for the 12% were at least 12" from the basking spot. I used it on top of the screen since it was a HO output bulb and was getting a UVI reading of about 5.5 when brand new and after it was about a yr old, it only dropped down to about 4.0 so it lasted almost 2 yrs before it dropped down to a 3.0 reading showing that it was time for a replacement, then I switched to the MVB's.
I aim for a UVI reading between 3.5 and 5.5 (slightly higher than 5.5 with a new bulb is a good reading though) and make adjustments with the lamp stand as needed.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Wolfeden

Hatchling Member
diamc":2tl6qv6y said:
Hi, since I had previously used the Repti-Sun 10.0 tube, I had a permanent and stationery basking spot in place within the 6 to 8" distance. So, instead of getting the Arcadia 12% bulb for the tank, I discussed the distance issue with Todd and we both agreed that the 6% would be better since the requirements for the 12% were at least 12" from the basking spot. I used it on top of the screen since it was a HO output bulb and was getting a UVI reading of about 5.5 when brand new and after it was about a yr old, it only dropped down to about 4.0 so it lasted almost 2 yrs before it dropped down to a 3.0 reading showing that it was time for a replacement, then I switched to the MVB's.
I aim for a UVI reading between 3.5 and 5.5 (slightly higher than 5.5 with a new bulb is a good reading though) and make adjustments with the lamp stand as needed.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

So, you were getting UVI 5.5, through screen, at 6-8" using a T5 6% bulb?
Was that in a reflective fixture?

I'm stuck in the middle...
I have a Reptisun T5 5.0 and 10.0 bulb with Zoomed reflector. My highest basking spot is 11-12" away from the bulb, through screen, but when my dragon stands or raises his head he can be closer to 9" from the bulb.

I'm currently using the T5 5.0 bulb and have seen positive results in activity, eating and healthy behavior (rescued BD). I want to use the 10.0 bulb but still have some concern that it will put the UVB on the very high end of acceptable levels.

He's got several locations to get out of the UVB, but I'm still torn over whether to change from 5.0 to 10.0.

Any thoughts? All input is welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom