UVB Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kryton

I have Three questions:
1-How long should a Beadie go without a UVB light? I ask this because none of the pet stores around me had the correct tubes to fit the fixtuers I currently have. I ordered them Monday morning and they should ship today but might not get them till Friday or Monday.
2-Is two T5 HO lamps to much light? I currently have two Aquaticlife 2 lamp fixtures that I had when my Aquarium was set up for fish and this is what I want to use for my Beardie.
3-If two lamps are to much light, what color tube is safe to use?

Thanks

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They can go for a few days without UVB without a big problem. If it's warm enough you could bring your dragon outside for a bit to get natural sunlight, but it's no big deal if it's too cold.

The T5 HO will put out quite a bit of UVB. Two of them may be overkill but I'd have to check with a UV Meter to see what is hitting the basking area. In addition to your UVB you'll want a bright white light such as that from a basking bulb or a halogen flood light.

Kryton

Original Poster
Right now I have a Zoo Med Repti Basking Spot Lamp 100w and a 150w. I am alternating them to get the right temp in the BA.

Kryton

Original Poster
lol
Anyways since its a two tube fixture I guess I could just get one from Lowes. That way the UVB tube will be more directly over the BA and the other tube will be towards the front. But couldnt I just use the ones that I had for lighting up the aquarium? It shouldnt hurt the Beardie, it was for freshwater and it was just to bring out the colors in the fish. Besides they are kinda wore out anyways :oops: lol. It was time to buy new ones anyways if I was going to stay in fishkeeping.
Also got my confermation email,the UVB tubes are supposed to be delivered tomorrow.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm not sure how aquarium tubes would affect a dragon as ambient light. I know some folks on here have done testing with lighting and may have a better answer for you. I would imagine that if you have a good white basking light over the basking site the aquarium light wouldn't hurt, but I don't know for sure and don't want to misguide you.

Kryton

Original Poster
Well I think I am just going to go with it.It is wore out enough where its not putting out the light its supposed to anyways. Besides I need that second tube installed cause the light will not work with just one tube.

Thanks again for your help CooperDragon :) I am sure I will have more questions to answer.

Kryton

Original Poster
Ok next question:
What is the optimal benificial distance for the UVB rays from a T5 HO lamp be for a Bearded Dragon? The package says the UVB rays will be benificial up to 36" but also says keep it 6"-8" away from your pet.My light right now is 14" from the Basking area and 25" from the bottom of the tank. Should I consider lowering the light? From what I have read it should be 6"-10" but thought maybe since its the HO lamp I could get away with the extra 4".

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
With the standard lamps you want 6-8 if you can. The HO are more powerful so 12'' is a good distance if nothing is blocking the rays from getting to the basking spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom