UVB lighting question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kobe24

Hey guys i really need some advice. I have a 6 month old bearded dragon and i have a reptisun 10.0 flourescent bulb for the uvb lighting. My question is, can it hurt him if he is real close to the light, because when he is up on his one branch he is only a couple inches away from the light. I have the light right on top of his cage so it is easy for him to get real close. Thanks

zandi202

BD.org Addict
I'm not sure about that, but I do know that the UVB needs to be in the viv. It is because when it is on top of a screen 50% of the much needed UVB gets filtered out. I hope someone can help you with the other problem.

kobe24

Original Poster
zandi202":1joql8x2 said:
I'm not sure about that, but I do know that the UVB needs to be in the viv. It is because when it is on top of a screen 50% of the much needed UVB gets filtered out. I hope someone can help you with the other problem.

Thank you for your advice. Good luck with your beardie

kobe24

Original Poster
does anybody else have any suggestions because he is only about 3 inches away from the uvb

Goodtruant

Sub-Adult Member
I think he'd be ok. I would just make sure he doesn't make it a habit.

Our beardie can get within 3-4" of outs UVB tube also. He climbs up that branch every once in a while, maybe once every week or two. I figure he knows when he needs more UVB. 99% of the time he stays 10-12" away.

And yes, the UVB will be filtered through a screen. Ours is inside of the viv, so I'm sure the UVB gets pretty intense up close. I wouldn't worry too much.

kobe24

Original Poster
Goodtruant":2a712hkr said:
I think he'd be ok. I would just make sure he doesn't make it a habit.

Our beardie can get within 3-4" of outs UVB tube also. He climbs up that branch every once in a while, maybe once every week or two. I figure he knows when he needs more UVB. 99% of the time he stays 10-12" away.

And yes, the UVB will be filtered through a screen. Ours is inside of the viv, so I'm sure the UVB gets pretty intense up close. I wouldn't worry too much.

Thanks for your help. I thought that dragons needed a lot more exposure to uvb light. Is it ok for him to not get much uvb at all over a week or two period cuz that doesnt sound right to me but i am new at this. Thank you for your reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nuochoakenperfume
Top Bottom