UVB fixture and placement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momissa

So we just got an under the counter fixture and Reptisun 10.0 bulb, however I wasn't sure how to mount it safely and properly.
I'm wanting to mount it inside the tank but with the plastic cover I'm worried he won't be getting enough UVB, but without it I'm worried the bulb will somehow shatter leaving shards of glass everywhere.
What are your recommendations or experience? Do you use the cover or is it unlikely the bulb will break?

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Is it like this:
87623-370502198.jpg

And is that the plastic cover? If so, I have one just like it. I just took the plastic off, it doesn't do anything (that I know of)

Momissa

Original Poster
Whoops! I just realized I accidentally posted this to Beardie ER! I meant to post it to general discussion, sorry!
89920-6595605584.jpg
This is the light fixture we have.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You need to take the plastic off. The plastic cover will intercept 100% of the UVB and render the bulb useless. I wouldn't worry about the bulb shattering. I've never had one break even with somewhat rough handling. You'll also want to make sure to mount it 6-8'' above the basking area to provide optimal output from that bulb.

Momissa

Original Poster
Ok here is how I placed the UVB lights, I removed the plastic covers.
89920-5090212622.jpg
His basking area was temporarily removed until we can get a dimmer to adjust the heat lamp for safer temperatures. I have another post about that if you're interested "slate tile & heat".

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Is the light shining downward over the basking area or outward toward the back? You want it to shine down over the basking area. When you put the normal basking spot in place it should be between the 6-8'' range I mentioned if possible. A dimmer is a good idea. you could also get an adjustable lamp stand and raise the basking light higher to reduce temps. There are also programmable thermostats you can use to automatically dim the light as needed but they are more expensive than the manual lamp dimmers.

Momissa

Original Poster
The light is open 3/4 of the way around, so it's directed at the back but the only area that is blocked is the area you see. Does that make sense? I can take a picture later when I get home. I think when we put the basking area back up it should easily be within 6-8" of the UVB lights.

Momissa

Original Poster
Also thank you guys! I really appreciate all your input and advise! Here is a pic of my nephew loving on Shifu:)
89920-198133258.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwe6634ee1
Top Bottom