Uvb and basking question

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
Hello, is her uvb over her basking enough. Her basking is the branch. It doesn’t include the log. I can move everything over to the left, but it causes the basking to be bad and weird. Also a very small point of the basking reaches 108-110. Is that ok? I circled it. It is basically a small portion of the right side of the large point on her basking.

Attachments

• B4F505BB-2655-4BF2-96ED-77D31C3FBB8F.jpeg
    B4F505BB-2655-4BF2-96ED-77D31C3FBB8F.jpeg
    245.8 KB · Views: 32
  • A42DF312-61F4-4F48-BA83-081E63611A80.jpeg
    A42DF312-61F4-4F48-BA83-081E63611A80.jpeg
    239.3 KB · Views: 28
  • E01F823F-E7A4-4CF4-AA4B-C37930F904A8.jpeg
    E01F823F-E7A4-4CF4-AA4B-C37930F904A8.jpeg
    198 KB · Views: 26

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
It would be optimal for the basking and uvb to overlap a bit but as long as she has the opportunity to get close enough to the uvb, she should choose the best position for herself.

As for the basking, you can answer this yourself by looking at her.
Will she avoid the hottest part regularly?
Will she lie directly under the lamp?
Does she lie off to side all the time?

My basking spot will get up to 120 in the center and my boy will still choose to be right there from time to time...

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
It would be optimal for the basking and uvb to overlap a bit but as long as she has the opportunity to get close enough to the uvb, she should choose the best position for herself.

As for the basking, you can answer this yourself by looking at her.
Will she avoid the hottest part regularly?
Will she lie directly under the lamp?
Does she lie off to side all the time?

My basking spot will get up to 120 in the center and my boy will still choose to be right there from time to time...
Does that mean it is ok where the uvb is? I’m a little confused. I think the uvb is about 10-11 inches from the basking. She typically sits right below the large point. With her head somewhat hovering over it. Right now she is right over it though. Thank you very much!

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
Sounds good to me. She should have ample opportunity to move in and out of the beam then....
Ok, thank you very much! When I remeasured it might also be 12 inches away at certain points. The uvb tube doesn’t cover a lot of the basking either.it does cover it though. I’m not sure if that is ok.

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Ok, thank you very much! When I remeasured it might also be 12 inches away at certain points. The uvb tube doesn’t cover a lot of the basking either.it does cover it though. I’m not sure if that is ok.
You are right, it would be BETTER if it did, as mentioned

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
Ok, so should I move everything to the left? To give the uvb more room. L I can do that. If I do that is it ok if the tip of the basking reaches about 112-114. Everything else tends to be 108 or lower.
This is it all moved over

Attachments

• A1352349-0E7A-4843-9F36-55684AA97AA1.jpeg
    A1352349-0E7A-4843-9F36-55684AA97AA1.jpeg
    270.8 KB · Views: 15

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
The 112 -114 is too hot- are you getting that temp w/ a digital probe thermometer? And your distance under the UVB is 12-15 inches?
Hello, I’m getting that with a infared temperature gun. It is only at a very small point. The rest is about 108 and down at the top. The lowest point being 95. The uvb distance seems to be 11-12 inches.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello, I’m getting that with a infared temperature gun. It is only at a very small point. The rest is about 108 and down at the top. The lowest point being 95. The uvb distance seems to be 11-12 inches.
Please get a digital probe thermometer- they are the most accurate -

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
Place on the spot where he basks- you don't need to leave the probe there- long enough to get the temp-
Hello, I took the temps with the probe. I had to have the tank open while I did it because I couldn’t get the probe to stay. So, I’m not sure if that will change anything. I took it in two spots. I took it where I was reading the 112-114. It read 105.6 with the probe. And I measured it with the IR temp gun after I did the probe as well. That read 109 because I left it open for a while. The other spot I did was also a higher and warmer spot on the basking. It read 99. I did the IR gun right after on the same spot. It read 96. Then, after it warmed up a bit, I checked the spot again with the IR gun. It read 104. But, I still think it is warming up.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello, I took the temps with the probe. I had to have the tank open while I did it because I couldn’t get the probe to stay. So, I’m not sure if that will change anything. I took it in two spots. I took it where I was reading the 112-114. It read 105.6 with the probe. And I measured it with the IR temp gun after I did the probe as well. That read 109 because I left it open for a while. The other spot I did was also a higher and warmer spot on the basking. It read 99. I did the IR gun right after on the same spot. It read 96. Then, after it warmed up a bit, I checked the spot again with the IR gun. It read 104. But, I still think it is warming up.
You don't want temps over 110- the temp from the digital probe is going to be the most accurate

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom