UV - how close is too close?? He's burnt himself...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissT

BD.org Addict
I know the recommended distance is 6-8 inches away and I have set up my basking spots / fixtures to allow this distance.... but Kazi is a crazy man and has now taken to scaling the walls - smooth walls - and hanging with his nose under the uv. He also likes to sit on top of it or hang from the starter. This has resulted in him 'cracking' one of his recently regrown toe-nails and in 1 broken uv strip this week already. Hes getting really stroppy when I have to move him and I am becoming the main target of his black beard and head bob! But how can I possibly keep him away from the uv? Im quite worried that once he gets bored of this he will aim for the basking bulb..... :shock:

dolcedragon

Sub-Adult Member
Though the UV light isn't a big problem, the basking bulb would make quite the crispy dragon! How on earth does he climb smooth walls? Very talented beardie, Kazi. I think you may have to put his lights on the outside of his viv. I don't know how your viv is set up and it might be a pain to do but I think it would be safer and keep you from having to buy more strips if you put the lights on the other side of a screen.

xJaZx

Hatchling Member
He does need to be close to get the UVB from the tubes, so the only things I can think of woud be to put a screen lid on his tank with the UV above it that way he cant go beyone the cover OR switch to an MVB bulb where it should be atleast 12" away from him and he may not access it so easily. Something is telling me he is just a good jumper. I can't see how he could physically climb up glass.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
xJaZx":f5be4 said:
Something is telling me he is just a good jumper. I can't see how he could physically climb up glass.
The viv is made from wood with a hardboard(I think) back and somehow, he is digging those little claws right into the back wall!!! So a screen lid isnt really an option unfortunately - even if it was, I know I would find him hanging upside down from it on a daily basis! I was worried he would do himself damage being right up close to the uv like he is..... im thinkig some sort of guard around the basking bulb is my only option for it...

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
So today I discovered he has burnt his chin... He has a small black dot just below his lip and the area is slightly pink. The poor guy - he gets it so rough - but I guess its his own doing this time!! Anyway, does anyone know, would it be ok to use aloe vera gel on this? Or would I be better with a reptile skin ointment (cant get neosporin here)?

Thanks

T

MelissaGray

Hatchling Member
I had an idea about the light problem...You could try building a cage of some sort to go around the bulb. If the cage is hardwood, you should be able to screww in the guard. You'll don't want it too close to the light of he might burn himself on the guard. Just a thought. Sorry that doesn't help with your burn problem but maybe that would prevent it from happening again.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Well as its the uv that hes burnt himself on, I cant really put a guard on it as I think that would filter out the rays. It sounds like a good idea for the basking bulb tho - il have to figure something out for it before it becomes an object he tries to get to!!! Im thinking a wire guard, which goes right around it but doesnt couver the bottom of it - so I can still change the bulb without unscrewing the whole fitting!! Thanks for the idea!

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peapthis
Top Bottom