UV hood not working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emilybortz

Hatchling Member
I came home the other day to find Bean's Reptisun turned off, so I assumed that the bulb had died and rush ordered another. Now that this one won't work, I'm wondering if there's something wrong with the fixture that it's in. It's just the basic black ZooMed fixture that fits an 18" bulb.

Thanks so much!

Emily

xenziffen

Hatchling Member
There is a little cylinder in the hood, besides the light. It plugs into a round 1" socket somewhere in the hood.

That can burn out too. They usually burn out first. They are pretty cheap to get at a hardware store. Check that too.

emilybortz

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks so much! By any chance, do you know what the cylinder is called? I'm trying to imagine my fun-filled trip to the hardware store to find my no-name cylindrical part :lol:

xenziffen

Hatchling Member
I had imagined you taking the part in with you (I have no shame at hardware stores, I'll schlep in to the store whatever busted piece of junk I have and proclaim to the nearest associate, "I need one of these").

But instructions on how to get it out of the hood might make the trip easier, it's a twist-n-lock, twist left, pull.

These google image results should help: http://www.google.com/images?q=fluorescent+lamp+starter

Oh, yeah, it's called a 'starter'. Might help to tell them you mean a 'florescent lamp starter'. But I highly recommend taking the old one with you, or at least the numbers off the side, so you don't answer the 'what kind' question with the same blank stare as having a no-name cylindrical part.

xenziffen

Hatchling Member
If the 18" hood doesn't have one, or it isn't replaceable, I don't know that. I do know my used tank came with a 24" hood that needed the starter replaced. YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom