Using Freeze-Dried Feeders? - A few other Questions..

Status
Not open for further replies.

iNyan

It's been a while since I've been here! Mushu has been well, but there are some things I need to fix. To preface this, for the past nearly 3 years I went through many issues emotionally, and as a result of that, I was rarely in a state to give him the caliber of care I should have. I have made many improvements, and I am determined to spoil him now, and I want to have everything perfect! But I do have some questions..

When he was tiny, I kept and fed him live crickets. Soon I completely freaked out and have panic attacks around crickets, worms.. and well anything of buggy nature. (I really tried to fight it so he could feed live.. but after a mass escape of crickets...) I have been feeding him Flucker's freeze-dried crickets.. but will they suffice? Are there any other more nutritional options, or other feeders I can give him? (He's never had anything but crickets!)

My next question.. I need to have a fixed menu for him, (I fed him these items.. just not on a menu-type thing.) and I wondered if this would work:

Collard Greens and Escarole everyday ( And every now and then, I'll throw in other staples!), and Monday, Thursday, and Sunday I would add something from the "Feed Occasionally" List on Beautiful Dragons (He likes Bell Peppers and Grapes, but I would like to try new stuff every week!)
How much should I feed him daily? I'm afraid that I might overfeed him sometimes.

I also fill a small dish with water in it everyday. Is this what I should be doing? I've heard different things regarding baths.

Is this ideal? I'm honestly in need of alot of guidance.. I feel so so so guilty for letting everything go that I did, but I am fixing it now.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I'm sorry you've had severe emotional issues....they are more common now in our stress filled world and nothing to be ashamed of. I wish you the best in that area of your life. :) First, I can honestly say that I don't know the pro's or cons of freeze dried bugs. Maybe someone else can weigh in on it. I suppose they're O.K from time to time. But do I understand that you're looking for a different bug than crickets ? Is it just crix that freak you out ? Would you be open to trying a small amount at a time ? When I feed them to my dragons, I shake the crix up pretty hard in a jar or an oatmeal container with the lid on, that makes them weak, wobbly + slow moving so they're easy to catch. I don't know if yoy could deal with something like that. You might benefit from conquering that phobia by small amounts of exposure to the thing feared.

Your veggie schedule sounds good, so you're doing a good job there, and that's the mainstay of their diet anyway. You can also offer a bit of scrambled egg once a week....microwaved [ no oil ] for a minute. Just a few quarter sized pieces at a time. The eggs go bad after a half day left in the tank, so be sure to remove before then if not eaten.

Update on what you decide to do, I'm sure your dragon will be well fed :)

iNyan

Original Poster
Thank you! I'm happy to say that I am much better :D As for the bus.. I'm terrified of everything, unfortunately. I can probably work with really slow moving things? Like worms of sort, as long as I would be able to buy and feed them before they were no longer worm-like.. but that's unfamiliar territory for me. I did have a Dubai colony, but at least when he was younger, Mushu had no interest in them. I might be able to work out buying smaller ones (They are more akin to those little rolly-polly bugs) and feed him those, if feeding smaller feeders is okay..

As for the veggies, that is what I went with! I picked up Escarole, Turnip Greens and some Bell peppers, and next week I'll sub something else in. Thanks for the tip about the eggs, I'm sure they'll be a hit with Mushu!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulesD
Top Bottom