URI? Or getting older?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThisIsBerk

Hoping I'm just a paranoid beardie mom. About 3 weeks ago I started noticing a slight pop occasionally when Berk breathes. It normally happens after he holds his breath (he'll puff up, hold his breath, and then when he releases there is a slight pop, or the reverse if he's taking a breath in to puff up usually when I hold him). It'll just be the one pop, then he takes a few shallow breaths and they're clear, and sometimes he'll take deep breaths in or out and I'll hear nothing. I listened to his chest and didn't hear any crackling or popping or anything. A couple tiny clear saliva strings when I open his mouth, but no signs of mouth rot or excessive saliva.

I noticed this right before I left for work travel, so I turned up his basking temperatures, gave strict instructions to his sitter (who is a beardie owner), and made a vet appointment for when I got back. Throughout the trip they said he was eating like a horse, acting normal, no excessive black bearding or weird behaviors. I came back and saw the same thing, he seemed perfectly fine (save for the pop every few breaths, which was still there) so I canceled the vet thinking I was just paranoid.

Within the last week though he's gone off his dinner meal entirely. He eats fine in the morning and a few bites of salad during the day (which is normal for him), acting normally, alert and moving well, not losing weight...he just doesn't eat dinner, and still has that pop (which hasn't changed in sound or frequency since I first noticed it).

So the question is, is this potentially a URI and I should make a vet visit or is it something else? Could his decrease in appetite be a sign of him getting older? He hasn't shed in a month (the longest he's gone without shedding), so perhaps he could be going into one and that could explain the decrease in appetite (though he's never gone off food before a shed before, he usually actually eats more!)? Basically, is this a normal aging thing or is it something I should see a vet about?

Quick care summary: he's almost 10 months old, 17 inches, about 450 grams. Gut-loaded dubia roaches twice a day (recently only eating in the morning), salad available all day every day which he does eat part of. Calcium supplement 5 days a week, multivitamin (with beta-carotene) twice a week. He's in a 40 gallon breeder, hammocks on both sides, reptile carpet, branch on the hot side, rock hide on the cool side, water dish (for humidity, which runs low in my tank). Heat lamp is a flood light 45V, also has a UV T5.0 strip bulb and a CHE. Hot side is 110-115 F on the basking point (I've kept it high in case it's a URI), 90-100 F on the hot side floor, 80-85 F on the cool side, temperature drops to mid 70s F at night. Humidity I'm working on, averages 20% right now, trying to raise it up based on advice from my vet (who is an exotic vet with beardies of his own). Gets soaks 3 times a week since he refuses to drink any water in any form (he's actually terrified of water, but that's a Berk quirk that I've accepted at this point).

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

There don't seem to be any other signs or symptoms of a respiratory infection, especially if he
has eaten well & isn't losing weight.
They can make a slight popping noise when they breathe, which is the glottis (air hole) opening
& closing. You have to be close to hear it, but if you listen you can hear it. I think that may be
what you are hearing.
Your tank setup sounds very good! Which T5 tube UVB are you using, Reptisun or Arcadia? How
close is it to him & is it mounted on top of a screen or underneath of it?
The humidity of 20-40% is acceptable. What are you using to measure the temperatures?
At this age, he might just be starting to slow down on eating a little bit. His growth rate sounds
great but he will grow more & fill out well into his 2nd year. They usually begin to taper off as
much protein as when they were younger & eat more greens (usually, not always!) LOL So, this
could also just be a normal behavior.
If you have pictures of him along with the tank setup feel free to post them.

Tracie

ThisIsBerk

Original Poster
Thanks Tracie! I was hoping I was just being a helicopter mom worrying for no reason :roll: . I didn't know about the glottis, that makes sense, thanks for the info! And him just getting older is what my friend was saying (he's also a beardie owner), but Berk always is on his best behavior when he's around (he'll chow down on veggies in front of him, but for me if I'm even in the same room as Berk while he's eating anything he'll stop :lol: ).

I've put a photo of his tank setup below. I'm using Reptisun, it's on top of the mesh and about 11 inches from the lowest dip in the hammock below (right side in the image). I can always move the hammock higher, I know T5 is supposed to allow the bulb to be on top of a screen at a fair distance?

I'm using digital thermometer/humidity readers, one on each side of the tank (right and left). I know it's not ideal, I've struggled to find spot readers that are reasonably priced. A couple times a week I'll move the readers to different points in the tank to gauge the humidity/heat levels more accurately (plus I try to keep my apartment temps/humidity consistent).

98216-5120048975.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The setup looks fine. Yes, 10-12 inches from the T5 is good. You could get it to an 8-10 inch
distance since there is screen in between him & the tube bulb.
How is he doing today?
They are crazy about their eating sometimes & wont eat when we watch them. LOL
That's a great idea to rotate the digital probes, so you can see all areas of the tank. I think
overall the temperatures & humidity are great.
It is always hard not to worry about things, especially when they start doing something new!
Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom