URI??? Need help, please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirthy

Sub-Adult Member
Today I went to give Norris his dubia treats and when he opened his mouth to grab up a dubia, a bunch of liquid came out. It was completely clear, no white or any other color mucus, no blood, no bits of food. He didn't seem troubled by it and snapped up his dubia. He is shedding right now. He ate well this morning and yesterday but not the day before (which I just attributed to his shed and isn't uncommon for him)
He didn't choke or make vomiting motions. He just opened his mouth and out dumped this liquid. When he left Hunt Mode, I held him up to my ear for a long time, saw his chest rise but didn't hear any clicking or wheezing at all. He is basking right now with his head high and his eyes alert to movement.
He had a bath yesterday and a rinse the day before (because he ran through his poo) and a bath the day before that to help with the shed. I feed his greens fresh rinsed...but that is all the water he has had access to. He ignores a water bowl so we don't keep one in with him.
The only thing I can think of is URI?
Of note: Norris has always had loose stool. The vet has done two fecal tests on him and he has no sign of eggs or parasites in either test. We have still no confirmed reason for him to have loose stool. He poops every one or two days.

Sex: Male
Diet: collard greens and escarole with about 5% of diet being dubia.
Calc/vit: calcium powder x5 a week, vits with A x2 a week (rep-cal)
Viv: 5.5' by 2'
UVB: Reptisun 10 tube. Jan '13 purchase.
Substrate: tile
Temp: Basking 95F, cold side 75F (acurite)
Humidity: 15-17% No water dish in viv.
Weight: 600grams (digital food scale)
Length: 22"

Mirthy

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
we just added in another bulb to raise the heat a bit...since that seems to be a stand by for sick dragons. (If he is sick)
Moved the temp probe to get a slightly different temp and Norris has moved up to it and is licking it like crazy!! He is so silly.
Has anyone heard of any reason for a dragon to have fluid in their mouths at all?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm scheduled to fly out of town tomorrow and the stress of worrying over my Mr Norris is giving me a whooper of a migraine.
Carrie

EDIT: and in less than ten minutes he has moved to a cooler part of the cage. LOL well, the best laid plans of dragon slaves are often given the stink eye!

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
Most likely he swallowed some water in his bath and kept it in his beard instead of swallowing. If he is bright, acting normal, and you hear no wheezing or clicking, I would venture to say he is perfectly okay! I would suggest raising the basking temp to about 100F in general. You should make sure he is eating 25-50 dubia a week, give or take. That is a good intake for an adult. Also, You might want to raise the humidity just a tad to help with the shedding - 20-30% is optimal. Finally, you should cut back on the dusting. You want to do calcium 3x a week for an adult, and multivitamin 1x a week.

Mirthy

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Daner, thank you for responding. I might not have been as clear as I should. He didn't have a bath yesterday. I was going to give him one (because I give him frequent baths when he is shedding) but I didn't since if it was a URI the extra water might not be the best.
So I don't think he held bath water in his beard. He ate his morning greens so he would have had to hold it for nearly 24 hours and while eating breakfast....
He is doing about the same. Lots of basking, sitting in a normal pose and he turned to give me the look when I open his doors.
Carrie

PS
I'm leaving for work (three days traveling) but my husband is here with him and I'll check in on the road from hotel computers...

EDIT: Oh and what sized dubia are you referring to? I can't imagine him eating fifty larges/adults on top of his salads which are quite large themselves! :p I'm lucky to have a great salad eater. Of course besides the escarole and the collard greens he gets treats of dandelion greens and butternut squash. You can see pretty current photos of Norris and his set up on my sig link.

I know I'm probably worrying about nothing but I can't think of a good reason for all that liquid to come out of his mouth! I need a smiley for pulling one's hair out.

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
If it only happens once and she seems alright, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I did say 25-50... lol. Typically I recommend 50-60 live feeders, but I have dubia and know how filling the adults are for a dragon. I would guess 25 is more like it for a week, but some dragons eat more than others too. You're lucky to have a great salad eater.

Oh, and the smiley you are looking for? :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adhdogtraining
Top Bottom