urgent in need of help...mangled tail tip!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
so im sitting watching my beardy today and all the sudden he attacked and chomped on the last inch + of his tail 30 minutes ago...it is 8:12 pm now here in pa usa...its basically mangled ...scales striped and flesh exposed in places and still bleeding in spots...what can i do for him...will he lose it or will it heal if i take preventive action?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I'm sorry about your little guy ! Was the tail shedding, was there some retained shed on it by chance that was bothering him ? For now you can put some Neosporin on it, very light coating, and then a bandaid. Unpasteurized honey will also help [ I personally think it's better ] ....the kind you get from a health food store or beekeeper. Put the band aid on so that it covers right to where the tail is not damaged. Then watch to see that the wound doesn't creep past the band aid, that would indicate infection spreading up. If it gets worse, then see a vet. Hopefully he'll heal up OK.

LookingHawk

Original Poster
no he is going into a shed tho however his tail was in the substrate and the tip of it was sticking out he must have thought it was a worm is all i can figure...i cleaned it and flushed it with hot water(to slow bleeding) it stopped bleeding since it isn't as bad as originally thought but still exposed flesh at a few places ... i put an salve with aloevera on it and flex shelled it with plant cellulose...i shall keep an eye on him and treat it three times a day

Tonja

BD.org Addict
I am not trying to be mean so don't take this the wrong way. Never try to stop bleeding with hot or warm water, that will open up the blood vessels just as hot water opens up your pores. Use cool water to constrict the vessels to help stop blood flow. If he is on a loose substrate please change it out to paper towels or newspaper, non adhesive shelf liner or tiles. Loose substrate harbors bacteria and when you think you have cleaned it up there is still moisture from bowel movements that you cannot get to, its like living in a litter box. You don't want him on loose substrate with an injury that is open, its a good way to start an infection and quickly. Microbacteria can get through aloe vera just as it can with a burn. You can also get some betadine at the drug store and give him a tail bath for 5-10 mins in a solution of betadine and water, mix it so it looks like weak iced tea.

LookingHawk

Original Poster
no offense taken and you are correct...i don't normally use hot water...only did this as i needed to flush the wounds with out directly scraping them and yes he is in a holding bin right now while his tank is being sterilized and the paper towels will be changed twice a day regardless of any visible matter present as well his rock is awaiting cleaning and sterilization...anyone reading this take note of what Tonja has said it is the best policy to do a full rehab of the Viv or enclosure before a beardy is returned to it after a wound has occurred... Tonja thank u for reminding me of the betadine...i remember we used that on injured turtle when i was a kid....oh and i applied plant cellulose over the wound to seal it till next treatment

Tonja

BD.org Addict
You're welcome. With 2 beardies and two dogs I keep betadine, triple antibiotic and a wound cleanse in the house all the time.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
When mine are shedding I use a 100% pure cocoa butter stick and heat it up under a lamp a bit so its not quite runny and gently massage it into their scales..never against the scale growth direction. It seems to help them shed a bit easier. During baths I have a baby fine toothbrush and some pure castile soap I use on their legs, feet and belly and along their backs, never their heads to clean them of food and poo should they poo in their tanks and walk or drag themselves through it. Other than that I let nature take its course with them. I have also used shed ease but find the cocoa butter works best and it keeps the skin conditioned and scales. I keep them well hydrated and that is the best thing you can do for skin and scales. Hope this helps.

LookingHawk

Original Poster
it definately helps thank you...i got this guy from his first owner malnourished...he is finally catching up to what he should be in size for his age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom