**Urgent and time sensitive help needed, please**

Status
Not open for further replies.

SunShine

Juvie Member

Please help, I have a 75 watt halogen spot bulb in a 40 gal tank, the temp gets about 85-90. Obviously it's not warm enough. (we have been running multiple lights to try and keep the temp up) but we had I think a 15 gal tank before so it's taking a lot to get used to the watt size needed for proper basking.
I am going to the store to get a bigger halogen, what do you guys recommend for halogen watt size? I was thinking 90 watt, but I dunno if it will be hot enough or not, I hear some people get 120 watts in 40 gal tanks so I am confused on what to do. Please help. Should I stick with a 90 or go to 100+ and if so, how much more + do I need?

z71

I use a 100 watt zoo med halogen in a 40g and my temps are around 108 at his top basking spot.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Make sure that you are using either a digital thermometer with a long wire and probe end or an infrared temperature gun as those are the only 2 ways to get accurate readings. What type are you using and where exactly are you checking the temps?

SunShine

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I have a normal one, I know they can be off by 20 either way so we are trying to get one maybe today. One of those months where everything is going wrong. It says it's 92 most of the time (its on the glass a few inches away from the light) and He feels warm. We have a heater under tank too. I know he isn't getting enough though because his color is not that light and he has some stress marks. he is much creamier in a window or bath. (he loves water though).
Unfortunately when he took him in (given to us because my uncle couldn't care for him) he did not come with ANYTHING. He was in a tank that he could almost stretch nose to tail from. So we got him a 40, then the light fixture wouldn't work so we had to get a new one, and yeah it's a little rough. We are trying it's just taking a bit.
Do not have a reptisun yet, but thats close to the top of the list of things he needs. Been giving him lots of sun to try and help the difference though. We just want to be good beardie slaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom