Urate has pink tint since surgery in June

Subion

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Zilla
Ever since my bearded had to have surgery for follicle buildup back at beginning of June her poop mainly the urate has a pinkish color to it. Sometimes it’s brighter pink others it seems more dull to almost normal white. I’ve had her looked at a couple times for checkups since then. The first time the vet did an X-ray/ultrasound and said everything looks good that the clips are in place and no sign of anything going on inside that shouldn't.

The second time they sent away a sample for parasite testing and it came back last week as negative. They aren’t really sure why it has a pinkish look to it though. Her diet hasn’t changed besides eating more lately.

Normally she gets kale, collard, mustard greens or something of a mix. She rarely likes her salad though and picks around it. Super worms once or twice a week and the rare hornworm every few months. also fruit like watermelon, blueberry, grapes, cantelope or occasional strawberries . She was getting a lot more watermelon post surgery just to help stay hydrated but that’s cut way down since she started doing better. She has had some carrots or bell peppers mixed in once in awhile but not lately, was hoping they were the reason it was discolored.

She gets vitamins once a week and calcium with d3 2-3 times. The calcium she had before when younger but right before she got sick we switched to the strawberry banana flavored one because she seems to eat more greens with it.

Other then that everything seems to be normal for most part. She isn’t as active but the vet said that could be neurological because she doesn’t see anything physically wrong, or possibly her age I’ve had her for 6 years in Jan.

Sorry about the wall of text just trying to get as much info as I can out in hopes someone may know what’s going on.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's possible that the red/orange fruit is causing it and it's unlikely to be a problem. Post a pic of it next time.

Subion

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zilla
It's possible that the red/orange fruit is causing it and it's unlikely to be a problem. Post a pic of it next time.
I hope so. I’m just worried because she use to eat all that stuff before surgery and never had any color change like this.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's not unusual when they have a very slight color change but a pic will be helpful. Try no to worry, many people see this happen and post on the forums and it's very rarely anything to worry about.

Subion

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zilla
It's not unusual when they have a very slight color change but a pic will be helpful. Try no to worry, many people see this happen and post on the forums and it's very rarely anything to worry about.

I tried to get a pic today but it was so runny I couldn’t get a good shot of it. Her vet was wanting another sample so I took some in. I was told since there is inconsistency in the stools they want to try some meds incase she has an infection or parasites that may have been missed in her gi tract somewhere. I’ll add a pic of the meds.

Attachments

• 9477CFAE-2487-4FED-AD73-19F1550AF1F2.jpeg
    9477CFAE-2487-4FED-AD73-19F1550AF1F2.jpeg
    35.8 KB · Views: 66
  • FDBDB85C-0D0D-4861-8A24-7FDB5A5EDAD9.jpeg
    FDBDB85C-0D0D-4861-8A24-7FDB5A5EDAD9.jpeg
    30 KB · Views: 68

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Most of the time, color changes in the urates is either hormonal, or due to supplementation or
diet changes. You took in a sample to the vet for analysis?
If she isn't acting ill, I would be sure that it's needed before automatically medicating her. Does
she take in a lot of fluids, etc? She doesn't have much watermelon now, correct?

Tracie

Subion

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zilla
Hello,

Most of the time, color changes in the urates is either hormonal, or due to supplementation or
diet changes. You took in a sample to the vet for analysis?
If she isn't acting ill, I would be sure that it's needed before automatically medicating her. Does
she take in a lot of fluids, etc? She doesn't have much watermelon now, correct?

Tracie

She gets most of her fluids from any fruit she may eat or from her greens I wash before giving her. She drinks very little water when in a bath. I do try to drop some water on top of her face but she brushes it off most the time. I’ve tried having water in a bowl but at most she just lays in it. She only gets a few bites of watermelon here and there now. Usually when we have it which isn’t often. It’s nowhere near as much when she had her surgery and I was just tying to keep her hydrated.

I took a sample in to her regular vet around 3 weeks ago and it came back negative for parasites. I took a sample with me to this vet but they barely even looked at it, just saw it was real runny even though the container while I was holding it and I even told him she usually only goes in the bath water so it’s a little wet from that. I tried to drain it as much as possible. He asked how it is usually and I told him sometimes it’s solid, some times it’s not quit formed together. He asked if it’s runny a lot and I told him once in awhile but that seems to be when she eats a lot of fruit instead of her greens. He didn’t even want to send it for testing since she just had some sent out.

His concern was since it’s inconsistent in texture that food wouldn’t cause that, it could be a sign of an infection or parasite in her GI track that they missed.

I Havnt started the meds yet. Was holding off to do some research on them first. Would you recommend I don’t do them at all? Is there any harm if she does take them? I’m just trying to be extra careful with her.

Thank you

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The fact that it was scooped from water , making it automatically more runny, but the vet didn't consider that as being a contributing factor is concerning. As Tracie said, when there is no diagnosis and your pet is not acting ill then it's usually best not to prescribe meds.

Subion

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zilla
The fact that it was scooped from water , making it automatically more runny, but the vet didn't consider that as being a contributing factor is concerning. As Tracie said, when there is no diagnosis and your pet is not acting ill then it's usually best not to prescribe meds.
Thank you I defiantly am not going to give them to her. I looked up some of the possible side effects with one and definitely wouldn’t risk it without a confirmed diagnosis.

Is there any signs to look for to see if they have an infection? Like I said she sleeps a good bit ever since she first got sick and even before she was somewhat lazy. My room was warm today to where I’m sweating and she slept. She did have an infection they found the week before her surgery and one of the follicles they removed was infected. The meds lasted I think a week or 2 after her surgery they never retested her blood unless they took some from when she was under anesthesia.

Sorry to ask so many questions ever since she got really sick before her procedure I’ve been trying to be extra careful.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom