Urate blockage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I brought my beardie in to see a vet last week. I had noticed a lump right below the left of his ribcage. The vet said he was in perfect health aside from that, and thought the lump might be a large urate that was stuck. She "inserted" water into him (which he was not happy about lol), and said if it didn't pass within the week to come back in for an xray in case it is a mass. I was instructed to provide lots of liquid and fiber.
It's been 5 days since then and it still hasn't passed. He has pooped without difficulty twice and passed all the water the vet pumped in him, however it hasn't budged. I was wondering if there was something I could do, similar to massaging his right side to encourage pooping. He's still alert, eating normally, and doesn't have any signs of anything being wrong aside from the ocassional twitch he gets in his tail (from the constipation from the urate). I've been giving him lots of watery fruits, like melon and raspberries, and little amounts of olive oil to help.
If this continues I'll have to bring him in again on Friday for that xray, but I just want to learn of any and every thing i can do to get him better asap. Also, what could the vet even do about that? Aside from surgery I guess.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there.....when you say that he has pooped and passed all the water do you mean that just water came out or that he actually produced normal stools as well as all the water ? If so then he is not impacted, the lump would be from something else. Did you regularly feel his tummy beforee this so that you noticed that it definitely feels different ? Sometimes their bellies just feel lumpy because they are such big eaters. Are you positive it's a boy ? Please don't be offended that I ask because owners often mistake the gender of their dragons. Another possibility is some type of mass growing. Hopefully [ and probably ] not that.

But even if it IS a urate it would eventually come out, you wouldn't need surgery at all. And you're doing a great job getting fiber in to her. :)

sweeteagurl2008

Original Poster
Oh no, I'm not offended, just thankful for your responding, and its always good to check :) I knew a guy who for 3 years thought his was a boy, Sampson became Tanami lol.
As for your questions, he is a boy, I've bred him with my female in the past. His poop isn't as dark as it usually is, and very watery from the vet, but still normal sized. I came home 3 or 4 days ago to find him standing in a huge puddle, but no poop, so all that water must have come back out. He just hasn't passed a urate since I noticed the bump 2 weeks ago. He's 8 years old and I know the bump must have developed rapidly, like within the last month, because I hadn't felt it before 2 weeks ago.
Thanks so much for helping/responding

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome, I'm more than happy to help if I can. :) A quick question, is your vet a good reptile vet with experience ? As long as he/she is then you should be in good hands. But I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't be a urate ....is it oblong or rounded ? An X-ray or ultrasound would be helpful if you are concerned about it.

Is his name Cornelius ?

sweeteagurl2008

Original Poster
She appeared to be very knowledgeable and so far is the best I've seen (ive been to two others before and had bad experiences) and she said she has beardies at home.
The bulge feels oblong .
And Cornelius is my oldest. This is Tiberium, my second oldest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom