Uping my colony....

Status
Not open for further replies.

dolphinsilversea01

Juvie Member
I recently bought about 30 Dubias from a friend at a rep show. I went with such the small number to give them a try and see how I liked them before having hundreds and wishing I had none.
I just counted them the other day and I have a total of 26 adults with 17 females and 9 males. I also have a handful of nymphs running around.
I recently spoke to her about getting more. She sent me info on how to figure out how many females I need and how many I want and can produce each month to keep my colony stable.
Right now I am not too worried about ending up with too many! I would rather have too many than not enough to feed off like I have right now. I work for a pet store so finding people to take them, the extras, is no biggie!! The crickets are just getting too annoying, too smelly, too expensive!

My question now is how many females per male should I have (or males per female)? I remember reading something about this somewhere, but after searching for it here, in emails, and other places I am just askiing!

Thanks.

nesta's mommy

Sub-Adult Member
I have heard two different ratios so maybe after someone reads this they can specify further:

I have most recently heard 1 male to every 10 females

and I have also heard 1 male to every 3 females.

When sorting, I fed off the rest of my males and now I have 1 male to every 7 females... right in the middle :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom