[Updated] Diarrhea

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started a topic about a month ago concerning my bearded dragons ongoing diarrhea and had been recieving help (thanks tracie :D), and he had been getting better. However the last few days his poop has been much worse and is starting to stink to high heaven. I've been keeping him on the soy yogurt in addition to his regular diet. do i need to see a vet about getting an antibiotic? He had a fecal last month and it showed no signs of parasites.

Thanks!
David

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
It's odd that his fecal would have shown no parasites. The liquid poo and terrible smell are classic signs of parasites. If it were me, I would take in another sample, as fresh as possible, and ask for another test. If possible, take the sample in as soon as he provides it - my vet told me that sometimes even after just an hour it's harder to see whatever it is they're looking for.

david3urns

Original Poster
ok, thanks for the info. as runny as its been lately tho, its going to be tricky to get a sample i can collect. any chance it would be ok if it were on a paper towel? i've been putting down fresh paper towels to collect the poop on so i can get rid of it asap, due to the smell.

also, would being sick effect his attitude? he's grown very hateful lately, constantly hissing, biting and scratching and just being a little demon.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello David,

Sorry he is having trouble again! I thought he was better. :(
I would get a fecal but ask them to test for amoebas & flagelletes which are difficult to detect on regular fecals. They add a stain & usually do a fecal smear instead of a fecal float to detect them.
I would at the moment, stop the soy yogurt for a few days to see if his stools get any better. The fecal needs to be as fresh as possible. Getting it on a paper towel would be ok, but if you can get it into a baggie somehow that would help.

I hope he is going to get better.

Tracie

david3urns

Original Poster
Well this afternoon we're taking a trip to the vet to have another fecal done and have the vet take a look at him as well. I'll let ya know what i find out :D

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello David,

Great, let me know how things turn out at the vets with the fecal results. Good luck.

Tracie

david3urns

Original Poster
Ok,
This fecal also showed no parasites, ameobas or flagelletes, altho the sample i took was a day old (the day of the vet trip zeus didnt poop, of course). The vet also said that with some parasites you could prepare a whole slide and still not see traces of the parasites.
I did get some medication for him tho, its metronidazole, give .05 units 2x a day. so we'll see how that goes. he seems to enjoy the taste (its strawberry flavored lol)

haleygirl272

Sub-Adult Member
Im so sorry! I cant believe it. That must be so dissapointing and stressful for you and your bearded! Is it me, or do things having to do with intestines relapse? There was another post not too long ago about a reoccuring prolapse. :(

david3urns

Original Poster
Well after a few days of the medication he had a large solid poop. he seems to be feeling better, altho his attitude has been pretty poor lately. tonite he bit me hard enough to draw blood.
if only they made a medication to make him not be an ass.... oh well. guess i cant have it all lol.

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
david3urns":ef21e said:
if only they made a medication to make him not be an *****.... oh well. guess i cant have it all lol.

Beardie Prozac? :lol: Glad to hear his poops have firmed up. That's good news.

david3urns

Original Poster
So of course, since things are never easy or work out the way you want them to, Zeus is now not pooping at all. I've been giving him greens and a warm bath every day to help with this, and I've also stopped his medicine at the vet's reccomendation. The vet said he may need an enima if he doesnt poop soon. Is that something i could do myself?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I missed your last postings. So he had a clean fecal, yet the vet gave him Metronidazole? That is some harsh stuff! At least it was flavored, but that medication is for flagelletes & amoebas so he shouldn't have had to take it.
If your vet had not of taken him off of it I would have recommended you take him off of it as it was not needed. The .05 twice a day sounds like too much for him. How many days did he take it for?
Could he be partially impacted possibly?
I am sorry that he is still having trouble. Is he eating any babyfood right now? You could add some pumpkin or squash to his system to try & get more bulk in him. The meds can sometimes cause constipation because they disrupt the Gi tract fluids & encourage dehydration.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom