*Update* with photos!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all!

I originally posted back in April in the Beardie ER about first-time beardie owners and the baby not eating... My sister and nephew on the dragon (Alex is what the kids call him, but I fondly refer to him as "Puff" - real original, I know!)

Well, he has improved by leaps and bounds, is eating about 10-20 crickets a day and it growing some. I appreciate all the replies and help I received and thought I would post an update with some photos. I did have a couple more questions.

1.) he should be around 14 weeks old (He was supposedly around 6 weeks when they got him and that was around April 20th, give or take a couple days). He has definitely grown, but not a ton and I was wondering if he looks about the right size for his age. How should they be growing at this point? Is he still considered a "baby?" Does he generally look healthy?

2.) He's eating crickets hardily, but is not interested in veggies at all. When should he really start eating veggies and any suggestions on how to make him interested?

3.) I'm still not sure the temps are right in the cage, she has a under-heater, and when put under the lamp on the ground I got a reading of about 105 degrees, but when put in his basking spot (or under the UVB light where he is usually sitting (He'll climb the foam background and spends a lot of his time directly under the UVB) I only got I believe 85-90 degrees. It seems the temps are all over in the cage and I'm not sure how to make the temperatures right. He's still not very active and I'm wondering if this could be the part of the reason. *edited to add* it is a 100W bulb right now, I got her a 150W but I'm afraid that might get too hot?

4.) Just out of curiosity, what color would you call him? And should he stay similarly colored as he gets older?

Thanks again, you guys have been great! I have attached some photos of him, and a photo of his current set-up. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
What are you taking your temps with? If it's a stick on, it could be as much as 20 degrees off, one way or another. I use an accurite digital thermometer with probe it costs about $12 at walmart (plus tax). Or you could get a temp gun, they cost a little bit more, not sure just how much more, but with those you can check the temps right where your beardie is at now. The stick on's show you the ambient viv temps.

The undertank heater you mentioned, I suggest you turn it off, take it out as they may not always recognize that they are getting too hot and can get dehydrated.

He's looking good. I don't know about size/age thing as it depends on several factors. I suggest you give him greens first, if he's hungry he'll eat them. Try to get him to eat them every day, offer the greens before you offer the crickets. At this age, he will eat more crickets than greens and that's ok because the babies need protein more than greens. You do need to offer greens every day because that way when he gets older he'll recognize greens as food.

link9984

Original Poster
Thank you for the reply! She had one of those round themometors (stick on), stuck to the side reading just above 90, but I didn't trust it. I've been meaning (or making her!) get one of the accurite's from walmart but kept forgetting. I was at the pet store and picked up the digital one with the probe (I think it was a zoomed, not sure) I don't know how accurate that would be, either.

What sort of greens would you start with? She's tried a couple but due to his lack of interest, just leaves a little in there and he doesn't touch them. He doesn't seem to want to eat anything that's not moving (Including crickets) should we try hand feeding greens again? I did get him to eat a small piece of canteloupe the other day (not sure if that's good for them, just figured a tiny piece wouldn't hurt him!)

I wish I knew for sure how big he was when they first got him, I know he's grown some, but doesn't seem like much. He's gotten a little wider and more "beardy" :D

Anyone else? thanks again!

link9984

Original Poster
ZephyrasHuman":1jopf8nw said:
He looks like a sandfire to me. We have a super sandfire red baby and her pattern basically matches yours. :)

Thank you! I can't wait to see what he looks like all grown up :) I think he's handsome!

healthybeardie

Juvie Member
Try to gutload the crickets with the greens (best staples are collards, mustard greens, escarole) so the crickets will taste a little like veges to your beardie. This may help your beardie to acquire the taste for the greens. Also, offer the greens first for about 3 hours before the "meat". If your beardie gets hungry enough, he'll go for it eventually. :)

link9984

Original Poster
healthybeardie":9v440t1f said:
Try to gutload the crickets with the greens (best staples are collards, mustard greens, escarole) so the crickets will taste a little like veges to your beardie. This may help your beardie to acquire the taste for the greens. Also, offer the greens first for about 3 hours before the "meat". If your beardie gets hungry enough, he'll go for it eventually. :)

Thank you for the suggestions! Will definately try that next week when I am there :)

orca123

He's a lovely dragon! :)
Probably a sandfire, as suggested, 'cause he reminds me of Clatter, my own orange-sandfire. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom