(UPDATE) He Still Doesn't Like Me... Desperate help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I recently posted this about my beardie, Zed viewtopic.php?f=5&t=165533
and I know I haven't given it very long for him to improve his behaviour, but all the suggestions I have been given I have tried and persisted with (I had tried them before hand, but after being recommended them a second time I tried again) have resulted in vicious attacks. Today is the worst of his attacks - this morning he puffed up and hissed as I walked past and lunged at the viv doors. This is something he has never done before, he has always been fine with me sitting near the viv, and only been a little pain when being handled. I had him out about half an hour ago from now and he attacked me the worst he has ever done before. I have cuts all up my arm and he has taken a chunk from my finger! I'm not nervous at all when it comes to handling him - despite having reason to! - so I don't know why he is being so horrible. Even though he is :twisted: evil :twisted: I honestly love him to bits, but it's getting to the point where I think I will be giving him up for adoption. Please can someone help me sort out his twisted mentality?!?!?!

AutumnFire

Original Poster
I got him from a UK reptile breeder and no, I've never done nothing horrible to him :cry:
dangit12":2yu6uf3m said:
first where did you get him and also

have you done anything to make him mad

dangit12

Juvie Member
can you hand feed him? if not then when he sleeps quietly try to pet his head my bearded dragon fowlcore when he sleepy he really doesnt care if i pet his head but hey know every bearded dragon is different

AutumnFire

Original Poster
ok, thanks, I'll give it a shot!
dangit12":1pa9yiax said:
can you hand feed him? if not then when he sleeps quietly try to pet his head my bearded dragon fowlcore when he sleepy he really doesnt care if i pet his head but hey know every bearded dragon is different

sageorge1

My Arogorn would get startled into a puff every time I walked by his viv... so one weekend day, I just pulled a stool up infront of his viv so he could see me and sat there all day watching tv and talking to him... When he would come near me, I had a cricket in my hand for him to eat. As the day went on, he got a little closer and closer till he was eating crix while sitting in my lap. Now everytime I walk by he comes to the front to see if he can come out.

AutumnFire

Original Poster
ok, that's intereting, I'll give this a go over the weekend. Thanks :)
sageorge1":168byapi said:
My Arogorn would get startled into a puff every time I walked by his viv... so one weekend day, I just pulled a stool up infront of his viv so he could see me and sat there all day watching tv and talking to him... When he would come near me, I had a cricket in my hand for him to eat. As the day went on, he got a little closer and closer till he was eating crix while sitting in my lap. Now everytime I walk by he comes to the front to see if he can come out.

Chirple

Hatchling Member
Personally, I wouldn't feed them with my fingers holding the food. I feel mine with tongs and without prompting he now knows "tongs have food" and will snap at them even if they're empty - wouldn't want that to be my fingers getting snapped at, he's really chomped down hard on the tongs !

Glad Im not the only one having this trouble. My beardie is antisocial too! According to all the people Ive talked to I seem to have everything in his viv right and the vet says he is healthy. He will not eat if he thinks I am watching and certainly wont eat from my hand. He is still very young and doesnt like to be handled but we are going slow and hopefully things will improve before he gets big enough to take out chunks when he bites. I am trying to be patient and cant wait for the day when he will sit on my lap and let me hold him. For now we are holding him in his enclosure for a few mins every other day (since it stresses him so much) followed by a small treat. Not much has changed since we got him but we are being persistant. Hope things get better for you!

AutumnFire

Original Poster
I went to his breeder today and he said that it might be that he's getting to the age where he wants a girl so he can "get fruity". I've also started doing what you're doing, with holding him inside the enclosure. I think this will be the most effective way in re-socializing him as he can get on and off my hands when he likes while feeling comfortable in his viv where he knows he is safe. I hope things improve with your beardie also!!

mustangshelly":12mid5om said:
Glad Im not the only one having this trouble. My beardie is antisocial too! According to all the people Ive talked to I seem to have everything in his viv right and the vet says he is healthy. He will not eat if he thinks I am watching and certainly wont eat from my hand. He is still very young and doesnt like to be handled but we are going slow and hopefully things will improve before he gets big enough to take out chunks when he bites. I am trying to be patient and cant wait for the day when he will sit on my lap and let me hold him. For now we are holding him in his enclosure for a few mins every other day (since it stresses him so much) followed by a small treat. Not much has changed since we got him but we are being persistant. Hope things get better for you!

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
My Bob hates me and has since I got him. He will tolerate me touching him now, but there have been occasions when he bit me, and not by accident! I gave him a t-shirt that I had slept in to use for a bed, and that seemed to help a bit (to get him used to my scent). I also let him sit on my lap and don't try to pet him or touch him - just let him know that he can sit with me and I won't mess with him. It just takes time and patience. I don't think he'll ever be a cuddly lizard like my others, but I love him just the same. He and his siblings came from a bad situation, and I don't think it's his fault that he's crabby.

Also, he does get worse in the spring when his little beardie hormones get going. I would bet money that has something to do with the lunging behaviour you're seeing.

AutumnFire

Original Poster
That might be a good idea... giving him a shirt with my scent... I might try that if all else fails... yeah, his breeder said that they do get crabby when the hormones start kicking in so that might be the reason for his lunging as you say. Thankfully he hasn't gone to bite me for a few days, but as soon as I go to handle/pick him up, he will start puffing and whistling and will scratch as me and do everything to get off.

Jasper's Mom":1gr92ubk said:
My Bob hates me and has since I got him. He will tolerate me touching him now, but there have been occasions when he bit me, and not by accident! I gave him a t-shirt that I had slept in to use for a bed, and that seemed to help a bit (to get him used to my scent). I also let him sit on my lap and don't try to pet him or touch him - just let him know that he can sit with me and I won't mess with him. It just takes time and patience. I don't think he'll ever be a cuddly lizard like my others, but I love him just the same. He and his siblings came from a bad situation, and I don't think it's his fault that he's crabby.

Also, he does get worse in the spring when his little beardie hormones get going. I would bet money that has something to do with the lunging behaviour you're seeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom