Unsure of nutrition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angelique

Original Poster
91271-4146850668.jpg
. This heat lamp sets by the tank so when he is out running he can go lay under it. He seems to love baskets he has taken over several of them though out the house

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Make sure there's no plastic covering the shield on the zilla long tube uvb's. And is that large basking bulb a mercury vapor by chance ?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He looks to be in pretty good shape which is encouraging! Is he able to easily get up onto that basket to bask? If not, you may want to move that to the cool side as a hide and put in a flat stone or angled flat piece of driftwood for him to bask on easily. The Zilla T8 bulbs have an optimal output at about 6'' through a screen so I'd try to get the basking area within that. Otherwise ordering a T5 might be a better bet because they are much more powerful with optimal output at about 12''.

Angelique

Original Poster
The zilla light has nothing coving the bulb it's open, yes the heat bulb is the the mercury vapor is that all right for him to have? He climbs on the baskets really well. He loves to be up there. He likes to climb up it and jump to his log. He will do this several times over . I am going to start making his tank more comfortable for him. I have been looking at pics of tanks and set ups in here today to get ideas of how he should be

Angelique

Original Poster
I have 2 small lizzards and have them set up in finished tanks. Should his be similar to how I did my other lizzards
91271-2486862559.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Which brand of MVB is it and which wattage? The output varies quite a bit between them. It looks like he can get quite close which I don't recommend. I can give you a better idea of safe range for it if I can find test results for the bulb.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
OK that's a decent bulb with a nice wide beam. Optimal distance for the 100w is about 10'' (probably closer to about 8'' through a mesh top) but I wouldn't mount it closer than that because they can be pretty intense at close range. Better to use a high powered bulb at greater distance in my opinion.

Angelique

Original Poster
Ok thank you. I am so glad I found this forum. I have been googling and calling pet stores trying to learn what I can to keep him happy and healthy but there is so much conflicting information out there. It's hard to know what's right and not. He has been through alot and I don't want to put him through any more. His beard was black for about the first two weeks I had him but he seems to be less stressed. I read when they are sick or under stress they stay black

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, I have used the Powesun 100 MVB on some of my beardies, too. :) By the way, what are the little lizards you mentioned in the other tank ? I tried to zoom in but it distorted the pic. I like a nicely planted naturalistic terrarium like you have there. Is the little brown guy on the floor a fence swift or a brown anole ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, fence swift [ aka blue belly ] , that's what I thought. He's looking pretty chubby....life must be good. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom