Unsure about a change in behavior.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

SargeUSMC

Hatchling Member
Pablo has changed overnight it seems. He's gotta be a year old now.......about a foot long or maybe more nose to tail........he gets a morning bath that he seems to enjoy......he poops in the tub regular as clockwork.

This morning when I put him in the tub, he WIGGED OUT! I mean, I've never seen him do anything like this. He pooped, but he was flipping out.......whippin' his tail all around and diving his head under the water and blowing himself up like a balloon.

My daughter is home with him. I told her to let him hang out with her. He's sitting there with his mouth open. I see him do that to let off some heat when he's under the lamp, but that's a sign of stress too, yes?

Should I be looking for anything in particular to give me a clue as to what might be going on? Is his lizard puberty??

- Sarge

SargeUSMC

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Please please please please reply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SargeUSMC

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
aaahhhh...the above comes from my daughter.....who is concerned as well.

He is eating, which is a good sign, although his appetite is diminished. Could this be the onset of brumation? Is he too young for that? I keep saying "he"......it's too young to sex yet apparently. There are no visible indications of sex, although it does have a rather triangular head.

It just seems very skittish with us where 2 days ago it was more comfortable with us. Where I used to put my hand in the tank and it would run right up my arm, now it backs away.......I don't know if it's related to the bath incident.......

What about being outside in the sunshine.......on the grass......are there any concerns with that I should have with that?

I've gotta get in the tank and check temps again.....and maybe it's time for a new UVB. This sucks not knowing...........

Bella12898

Hatchling Member
well father.... nobody replied...... so sad.... but happliey, i know i spelled it wrong... pablo is normal yay

SargeUSMC

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I see that.....oh well........I'm happy too that all appears to be back to normal....

:blob8: :blob5:

karen1

Sorry no one answered your question. The bath behaviour sounds perfecly normal to me. I have several and they all act differently in the bath. One will bloat herself up and appear to be sleeping, she never wants out, even when the water gets too cold. I have several that swim under the water and slap their tails, which usually gets me wet. I think it's cool to watch them swim, they seem to be having such a good time. I also have a couple when I put them in, that is how they stay until I get them out, they won't move at all. I have a 11 month old male that started acting like a teenage boy with attitude, I just pick him up and scratch his honey spot and he mellows back out.

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
Hi Sarge and Bella.
Sorry that no one replied to your post. Glad to hear that Pablo seems to be doing ok. Sometimes they do have spastic spells, especially in the bath. And they do tend to get hormonal, wild and crazy.
The only things to think about with the grass is one, beardies are VERY fast sometimes, so make sure that Pablo cant get away. Another thing, you may not want to put him on the grass if it has been treated with chemicals recently. The 2 major things to look out for are birds (we have had members whose beardies were swept up by hawks) and lightening bugs! Lightening bugs (fireflies) are DEADLY almost immediately. Never let them near a lightening bug. Other bugs can be deadly too, so dont ever let him eat anything from outside. Even if the bug is not deadly itself, it could have come in contact with pesticides, which could be deadly.

Bella12898

Hatchling Member
Thanks! I'm glad someone finally replied! lol My father (sarge) was asking someone about Pablo's behavior and then they said that as the males grow up they can get hormonal. So that may mean we have a male!! We don't know if he is or isn't yet. We don't spray our lawn but he was eating some clovers. I dont know if this has any effect on anything but we have a dog... and she pees out in the back yard... maybe Pablo ate some clover that had some doggie pee on it... like i said i have no idea if that had any effect. We bought a leash, but we bought that a few days ago. Before we i made a "homemade" leash out of string and a t shirt. But he was always "connected" to something... And when he was in the bath he was a freakin maniac. My dad said he was fie before the bath... so i think it was the bath. Thank you guys so much for replying!!! We were worried!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom