Unhappy dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jax1984

Hi everyone im new to this site. We have given a 3 year old bearded dragon name spike. We are friends with his previous owner. Who said he was very active and friendly. He is but hes unhappy. He sits basking for the whole day and doesn't move at all. Weve had him for 5 days now and he hasnt ate anything or pooed ? any advice? (dont know how to add a pic also)

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Do you have a bright white basking light? How big is the enclosure? Do you have a uvb light? If so brand and kind? Do you know the temps and how do you take them? Those ceramic heat emitters are for night. He needs a bright white basking light during the day.

Jax1984

Original Poster
Hi thanks for your reply. I was questioning this but the information advertised with the bulb is as follows :
Komodo Ceramic heaters provide excellent levels of heat but emit no light. This makes ceramic heaters ideal for enclosures that require a proper photoperiod with nighttime and daytime elements. Ceramics are the ideal heater choice for customers who want to breed their reptiles or those who want the best equipment and want to 'do it the right way'.

The Komodo White Ceramic Heat Emitter provides an efficient radiant heat source which creates a natural sun-like heat without visible light. Suitable for 24 hour use, they are ideal for constant radiant heat to simulate desert or tropical environments and help to increase the ambient air temperature to warm the skin, scales & bodies of reptiles.

This product must always be used in conjunction with a thermostat.
It is being used with a thermostat and sensor set at 85 degrees. It is on a 12 hour timer along with the uv strip light. During the night they both go off and he has nothing. Temp is ok here.
The warmer side of tank is around 85 and the cooler side 70. I turned the thermostat up to 88 earlier and the the little man was opening his mouth whilst basking? But he never moves himself away from it.

His previous owner said he was a great eater so im conscious the move has stressed him. Hes getting used to 2 noisy children etc.

Jsw

Hatchling Member
You definitely need a basking light.

Komodo Ceramic heaters provide excellent levels of heat but emit no light. The Komodo White Ceramic Heat Emitter provides an efficient radiant heat source which creates a natural sun-like heat without visible light.

Beardies need the white light as well as heat.

This makes ceramic heaters ideal for enclosures that require a proper photoperiod with nighttime and daytime elements.

This means that if your animal needs it to be dark for a period of the day (i.e., night)- as beardies do- but still warm, the ceramic heater can do that. It emits no light, which makes it different than the red lights you often see marketed as night lighting.

Suitable for 24 hour use, they are ideal for constant radiant heat to simulate desert or tropical environments and help to increase the ambient air temperature to warm the skin, scales & bodies of reptiles.

They're suitable for 24 hour use but you only need them 24 hours if your tank is in an environment where the basking light isn't sufficient for heating. Usually in a particularly cold home/building.

This product must always be used in conjunction with a thermostat.

That doesn't mean ONLY in conjunction with a thermostat. It means it also needs a thermostat so that you can control the amount of heat it emits.

It is being used with a thermostat and sensor set at 85 degrees. It is on a 12 hour timer along with the uv strip light.

It's good that you have a UVB tube light, but he also needs a bright white basking light.

During the night they both go off and he has nothing. Temp is ok here. The warmer side of tank is around 85and the cooler side 70. I turned the thermostat up to 88 earlier and the the little man was opening his mouth whilst basking? But he never moves himself away from it.

The warmer side needs to be much warmer. He needs a basking spot to reach 100-110. The cool side is fine. Eighty-five with no light is not adequate at all.

I hope that helps clarify your heater's instructions.

Jax1984

Original Poster
Thank you so much for answering my post, i really appreciate it. As weve never had a beardie bedore and know the chap well we trustes he would have the set up correct, but obviously not. Im slightly concerned that it has been this way for 3 years! I hope it has not caused problems for spike. Im off to the reptile shop this morning to get him kitted it correctly. Do you think it will increase his activity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom