Undigested food in his poop!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xesia

Today I came home to find Komo actually naturally, but saw noticeable pieces of undigested food in his poop. We are currently feeding him small meal worms and crickets (not many of each) and his veggies. I saw a piece of a cricket, a little chunk of worm, and a pea! The only change in his feeding is the meal worms, but even then we have been feeding them at least a week now.
I am wondering if because his size is getting bigger (fast!:) ) that maybe his hammock is not high enough or he isn't getting hot enough. With the weather getting colder, I wonder if this is the problem. I'm waiting right now for him to go up in his basking area, (he was not in direct light when I got home) so I can accurately test his temp.

Other than the temperature, is there something else that can be causing this? should I be worried? He seems just fine and healthy, is alert, has no beard... just normal Komo :)

Thanks for your help!

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
You can check the temp without him there. Just go ahead and put the probe in the basking spot. That would most definitely be a good first move.

You might want to drop the mealworms out of his diet. The outer shell can be harder for some beardies to digest and they really don't have much nutritional value for beardies.

If you've only noticed this once and it doesn't seem to be a consistent prob, I wouldn't overly worry myself.

Xesia

Original Poster
We have one of the temperature guns and I was just curious what his temp was in his basking area. He was 97-99 degrees.

I will stop the meal worms right away. He still seems fine, so I hope there is no real reason for concern..

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
Go ahead and temp the spot itself, the floor of the basking spot. You want that spot to be registering btwn 100-110. If you have an adult beardie, the lower end of that spectrum is better- if you have a juvie, go closer to 110.
Both my adult beardies have a hot spot hovering right around 107 that they have to climb to get to. I like keeping it raised so that they can get a gradient of warmer temps.
I'm honestly not sure what temp you'd want your beardie himself to be...

(I LOVE THE TEMP GUNS! Have you played with your cats with the laser yet? That's my favorite part! Almost a good reason to go buy a kitten!)

But, I think you're probably fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom