Underwieght?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
We recently rescued an adult male beardie. No clue how old he is other then he is an adult judging by size. All we no is that he wasn't cared for properly for quite a while before the rescue group got him. Overall he seems to be doing well... eats well, highly active, normal sleep patterns, poops regularly....my concern is he seems underweight though.

How do you tell if a beardie is underweight?

How many insects should he eat at one time? Right now he can plow through 20 or more crickets plus his salad

We had to teach him how to eat insects because his former owner never fed him anything but veggies. Poor guy ran from crickets.

Will post images as soon as I figure out how

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Overall he looks pretty good. :) The fat/muscle pads on top of his head are a bit sunken in but now that he's eating well he should plump back up a bit, but slow + steady is the way to go. He has probably been dehydrated so put him in a plastic tub with about 2-3" of warmish water and trickle some on his head, this usually gets them to drink. Or you can use a spray bottle to direct a gentle stream of water on his snout. Take your time doing this, spray, stop, repeat until he drinks by lowering his head as the water drips down to his mouth. The amount of crickets is fine, you don't ant to stuff him and cause other problems [ like gout ] since he's not used to large amounts of insect protein.

But all in all he looks pretty good, nice thick tail and bright/alert looking eyes.

Dragonlady1982

Original Poster
AHBD":3vno3xnc said:
Overall he looks pretty good. :) The fat/muscle pads on top of his head are a bit sunken in but now that he's eating well he should plump back up a bit, but slow + steady is the way to go........

Thanks.... I was worried about him and with his past I really do t want to screw things up for him even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FalkorBeardie :3
Top Bottom