Underweight baby. Where did my good eater go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirthy

Sub-Adult Member
Hello, I'm yet another first time bearded dragon owner. I have had some prior experience caring for an adult beardie and fell in love with the animal. I've waited a little over a decade to be in a position to have one for myself. Now I finally have a little guy (or gal) and am happily doting and cutting veggies for him to experiment with as well as dusting little crickets, etc. So nice to be doing it for my own dragon now. (cheer) Here is some basic information before I continue.

I've had my BD for three weeks. I do not know the age but it couldn't be much older than seven or eight weeks old at this point.

My dragon is almost six inches long (and likes the yellow color of the measuring tape ((and long walks on branches, hot tubs..but I digress)) but he is only 6 grams. It seems like he should be about twice that?
DSCF0258-1.jpg

I can't tell his/her sex yet but I'm going to call him a him to make it easier for now. He is in a 29gallon enclosure. (I have a larger one for later but will be using this until Baby grows up a bit more) The substrate is eco-carpet. I have a fluorescent UVB light by reptisun (10.0) and the basking spot allows the baby to climb up to 5" of the light with a lot of gradients levels which helps with the actual basking light (separate) which is a bulb. The basking side temp's hot spot is 110 with a lot of options for slightly cooler. I've measured between 98-110 on the 'roost'. The coolest point in the viv is inside a hide on the cool side of the tank which will drop to 77. I had fun measuring all of those (and bath water, too) with a temp gun.

okay so, all that aside. I've had a very adventurous eater until this week. In very small hand fed amounts my baby BD has tried:
Mustard Greens (not as fond of)
Collard Greens (often)
Bok Choy
Carrot greens
Kale
Mango (absolute favorite)
carrot, minced
apricot
yellow squash

all of these have been in very small amounts. He has constant access to fresh bearded dragon diet which he ignores like a good boy. The main part of his diet has been small/med crickets which were nearly always dusted with a calcium/D3 powder. He was eating between 4-8 a day and tasting anything else around. We fed a couple in the morning after offering some cut up greens then another meal at midday then a final offering about three/four hours before we turned off the lights. The crickets were fed on collard greens mostly. Originally, I would stick a carrot in as well but it was so quickly messy that I started leaving them out. Also in the beginning, I was feeding the crickets in his viv but there were too many cricket hides so I started feeding him in a second tank (10gal) Feeding the crickets in the 10gal not only made it easier to keep them away from the BD when he was finished but it allowed me to feed them his left over greens and fruit. So their diet is pretty much his diet. Anyway...this is really going on and on. Sorry.
Four days ago, I was watching the baby hunt his crickets (the lazy, 'pretend I'm a stick' way) and one either bit him or stepped on a bit of his leg shed wrong. I don't know which. I saw him spin around and run for the wall of the tank. I put my hand in and he ran straight up my arm. I inspected his leg and tail closely (and continue to) but see no bump or crooked scale or any other sign of a bite. The bad part is, he's not eaten a cricket since. The next day, he had stress marks and ran immediately to the glass of the 10gal so I didn't try to offer crickets again for the whole day. I didn't think his memory would linger past that and that hunger would win out... He's taken a little bit of mango from my fingers and a little bit of babyfood squash..four wax worms which I ran out to grab last night...but then he stopped eating those as well. I've ordered some phoenix worms and am waiting for them to arrive. He's hydrated. He's still calm and happy in his bath (which I'm giving him daily because he seems to really like them and he always seems to be shedding some bit or another.)and sips away and licks at my fingers.

He is having daily movements. I think he is over due to shed his head. He did his back and hind legs last week and his front legs the week before.

Anyway, here is a picture of him wondering why he just got plopped on a scale.
DSCF0257-1.jpg

Am I just another fretting newbie owner or is this way too light? I was looking off of the Beautiful Dragon weight chart and getting more and more worried.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Mirthy....yes, he's a little thin, but then you can factor in re - location stress because some beardies take a bit longer to get used to their new homes. What you might try in order to get him to eat more crickets is to put them in a container [ a jar or empty oatmeal container or small tightly enclosed box ] along with a pinch of calcium powder and shake the crix until they are pretty dizzy. Then drop a few at a time right near him, the crix should wobble around slowly and this attracts babies to them without the dragon being too stressed by them crawling all over him right away. Give him as many as he'll eat in about 10 minutes, and try again later in the day. As for fruits + veggies, keep offering very small, and finely chopped greens but not too much fruit, sugary foods aren't too good for beardies. Hopefully he'll develop a taste for greens as he grows. Some breeders and stores don't offer greens and their babies just never get used to them until they are older, but they should have done it right from the beginning. None of my babies ever refuse greens, they eat them twice a day along with the insects. I hope his appetite picks up for you.

mellu

Juvie Member
My youngest Kira was afraid of crickets too, she did NOT want to be in an enclosure with them. What I did was get her a ceramic disk, the kind that goes under a plant pot, that was shallow so she wouldn't have to get in it to eat, then I pulled all but one big leg off a bunch of crickets so they couldn't walk but wiggled around a bit, dusted them with calcium and she started eating them, she still preferred to be hand fed them but this got her eating!

Mirthy

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thank you both for taking the time to read that long rambling worried post and write back. :oops:
I've been shaking the criks in a baggie and then sliding them out on top of his greens dish but they all too quickly hop out.
I'm going to try a little cricket torture. My biggest problem is that he isn't striking at food at all right now. He is testing the
air with his tongue over and over and licking his chin but not putting anything in his mouth. That's why I went with the babyfood
squash last night, he did lick that off his chin. That is pretty much all he ate yesterday. Pretty poor on the calorie side of things. He is eating less and less instead of more and more all starting with that blasted cricket.

Mirthy

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I want to add that I keep thinking there is more shed coming (on the top of his head)which I hope is the cause for the hold out. But he is such a little thing...

mellu

Juvie Member
For a while I had to hold the crix right in front of Kira`s mouth and let them tickle her nose before she`d eat them, babies can be fickle xD.

Mirthy

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
update:
I've had to go out of town for three days. My husband is home the whole time. Tonight I'll finally be home myself.
Before I left, I basically shoved any body part of a pinched/squished cricket that I could into my Beardie's mouth whenever he was doing the tongue tasting thing. As soon as any part of a cricket was in his mouth, he pulled the rest of it in and swallowed it all down. He ate four small crickets and two and a half worms that way. The half worm was when we decided he was done. :D
That was Friday. Saturday, he ate two crickets all on his own. My husband says he continues his normal poop once a day routine.
I'll weigh him again on Monday morning and see where things are...
Just in case, I've found a local herp vet but I've not had a chance to talk with him yet.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
My 5 week old baby is TERRIFIED of crickets (even the really tiny ones). I am trying once a day to put her in a bowl with like 3 crickets, so far no luck at getting her less scared. She eats reptiworms and microsuperworms very well, though, (as well as her greens), so I am not worried about it. If you can afford these worms I think your baby would like them.

Mirthy

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
:D I wish my baby were eating as well as my computer! It just ate my big old update!

Mirthy

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
hehe I'm sure your little one will be a cricket terror one day, Spur.

Mine used to be. That is the trouble. He used to crunch 6-8 daily with his record being 10.

I've ordered some phoenix worms but there is some trouble delivering them to Las Vegas...the heat and all.
Hopefully, I'll have some soon. My fingers are crossed that with the two crickets yesterday, his troubles are over.

I don't want to become fixated on the idea that it is a cricket terror though. Even though it -seems- like it all started right after he seemed to be bit. I don't want some other problem to go unnoticed because I was just sure it was that. So. On Monday, I'm going to give my local herp vet a call and see if I can drop off a fecal. I figure it is odds/evens if he will allow that without a visit. I'd rather not take him in just yet because of all the other stress the little thing has gone through lately. I don't want to add on a car ride and a doc visit. Also on Monday, I'll re-weigh and see how things are going.

Anyone else out there have weights of their dragons at 5 1/2" ? Just to add to the fattys over at Beautiful Dragons? :p

Mirthy

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Our Babies have that same splash of orange down their backs, I wonder how similar they will be when they are all big and grown?
Thanks for adding in a picture!

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Her mommy is a beautiful yellow dragon while daddy is a handsome red, so I will be interested to see how she colors up as well!

Mirthy

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I don't know the parents of this little guy. I knew the breeders but I'm blanking on them at the moment. They are in CA. Sandfire? Maybe? or some such? I'll be able to confirm that when I'm home.

The main reason for all my concern is the major change in his eating pattern. He was pretty consistently pigging out.
Fri 22nd he ate 10 crickets
Sat 23rd he ate 6 crickets
Sun 24th he ate 8 crickets
Mon 25th he ate 1 (then was bit?) ate nothing else
Tues 26th ate pretty much nothing.
Weds 27th I got him the wax worms and he ate three
Thurs 28th wouldn't touch the wax worms...closed his eye when I tried to offer them. I also noticed that he was keeping his head down more often and looking less alert. He ate pretty much nothing but a bit of squash I dabbed on his chin.
Fri 29th we got him to eat 4 crickets and 2 1/2 worms but it took a lot of work
Sat 30th he ate two crickets on his own.

So that is his food log. Perhaps he just had a slowdown and I'm a big worry wort. I just don't want to have something happen to him right under my nose.

Mirthy

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
actually, that is his food log as near as I can recall, I'm on the road so I'll edit it as soon as I get home if I was off. Speaking of which, I gotta catch a plane and man I can't wait to be home! :D Even though I am really only not seeing the little fellow for one day it feels like forever...oh yeh, and the husband, too. Teehee. My poor co-workers are very patient with phone calls about poop and crickets. Turns out one of them also has a Bearded Dragon and I didn't even know. I've recommended this site to her. Thanks again, Spurlee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom