Underbite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have concerns about Deja's underbite because many have associated an underbite with MBD or Metabolic Bone Disease. I am using calcium and uvb lighting. I just go her last Saturday and she is about 3 months old.

The guy I got her from seemed very experienced and told us that he got her from a breeder and that he needed to make room for his own breeding and so was practically giving away this gorgeous leatherback, a steal for $50 I am crazy in love with her. She is amazingly active and curious, so I'm just concerned as to why the underbite?
some pics
CAM00467_zps36f6eeb5.jpg

CAM00466_zps6a230cce.jpg

CAM00465_zpsa7a27b62.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry your post got missed!
She is a beautiful girl. She may have a slight underbite, but at her age you may be able to get it reversed with some extra calcium while she is growing.
Which UVB light are you using right now & how close is it to her?

Tracie

christywoowoo

Original Poster
I am currently using a 13 watt exoterra desert uvb bulb and she will actually get extremely close to it on her climbing log, I'm not too sure if thats good or bad. We just renewed the bulb 2 weeks ago.
She's getting plenty of calcium and uvb.
The underbite actually seems a little more prominent now.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The Exoterra bulb will need to be replaced/exchanged for either a Zoomed Reptisun 10 tube bulb or an Arcadia D3 12% tube bulb. Stay away from compact/coil lights as they are known to cause some eye issues.
The Reptiglo bulbs just don't emit the greatest UVB wavelength for D3 synthesis which could be why he is slowing developing an underbite. He is not able to absorb his calcium properly.

Is he eating well right now?

Tracie

christywoowoo

Original Poster
She is a great eater, I had my girl Rusty under the bulb her whole life and never had an issue. The only reason I ask is because I'm not doing anything different than I did with Rusty, and I had Rusty from 2 months she is now one year and hasn't had an issue... Why is it affecting Deja?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there.... if you just got her a few days ago, this had begun to develop before you got her. You might get it under control now with better care than she possibly had before...it just takes a bit to reverse. And it is not bad at all, looks more exaggerated because she has a pointy little face.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It is hard to determine exactly why some develop calcium & bone issues & others don't. A lot of it is predetermined by genetics though so when things do happen it is best to get them taken care of quickly.
In this case I think you can get it reversed or at leastl halted if she is still growing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom