Under tank heater question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. So I KNOW not to use a uth for my beardies basking spot or even anywhere underneath. I am customizing a viv for my new baby who is hanging out in a 20l quarantine atm. What I'm wondering is. To try and cut down on total wattage I was thinking of putting a small 10g size uth along the cool side top of my new viv and have it on an 80 degree thermostat setting. Instead of a che from above. Can anyone give me a reason why this would not work. And the direct area of where it will be will not be accessible to the dragon at all.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Heat mats work primarily by conductive heat - they warm things that touch them. They don't really work as a radiant source and won't give you the effect your hopeing for.

Lower wattage alternatives to a CHE would be a heat projector (reptileuv.com) or a radiant heat panel (reptilebasics.com pro-products.com) but both will be more upfront cost.

Jsilverback64

Original Poster
It is a copy diction us bit yes. But it will radiate off of the surface being warmed also. I use this exact method on my roach bin and keep the whole thing a toast 85 degrees always. So I know for a fact it works. I'm more concerned if there is any safety issues for my dragon really.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
No safety issues if it's on a thermostat (no safety issues if it's on the floor with a thermostat either).

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
I have a section of heat tape on the cool end of my enclosures. It's on a thermostat, and I use a sand substrate. When the dragons want to warm up they dig down closer to the heat tape. Sand holds heat well.
No issues with it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cold3231
Top Bottom