un-social beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

boneymama

Hi! I've recently become the proud owner of a young (>1yr) bearded dragon. His previous owners were an inexperienced and under prepared family with young children who weren't consistent with his feeding and handling, so I happily volunteered to take him in. In the few months I've had him, he has been eating wonderfully, trying all kinds of new foods, gobbling up crickets and super worms, soaking in water, bathing under his lamp or out on the deck and growing like a baby monster! For the most part we are very happy... except when it comes to handling. At this time, I can only handle him when he's "cool", or after his lamp has been off for at least an hour in the evening. He panics and runs when I reach in the tank, even when I am bearing mango (his favorite)! If I insist, and stroke him, he flattens and puffs, hisses and eventually lunges off. I'm not sure if he would bite me, but I'm a little nervous he would. Sometimes I am able to take him out and hold him (with my thumb under his tummy/chin and my forefinger on the back of his neck) but he is ready to bolt at any second and will often have his mouth open and be puffed up the whole time. I want him to be comfortable being held, and ideally friendly with anyone who may want to say hello, but I dont want to stress him out.
Does anyone have tips for handling and socializing him? If he does bite or act aggressively, what should my reaction be? If I just keep pestering him, day after day, touching his head until he runs away, will he eventually be comfortable with me? Are there particular ways beardies prefer to be touched?
I appreciate any help! I'm new to the forum but look forward to exploring and learning from all you experienced owners!

msmisty

Hello, its great that you gave that poor bd a good home and that you found this site! :mrgreen: In my opinion I think its best just to give him some time to get use to his new home, and so that he can see that your there to care for him not to abuse of him. The tshirt trick is every famous. All it is to put in on of your shirts in there with him at night so that he can get use to your smell. Good Luck

Toyguy

Juvie Member
You may already realize this, but always approach from the side never from the top. Coming in from the top can seem like a bird swooping in to them. My baby Dash does not like to be picked up, but he's fine once you get hold of him :)

I make a point to pet him every time I am in his cage for any reason, and I pick him up at least once, if not twice, daily. He's getting better but as a baby he's still excitable. I suspect he'll slow down as he ages. He has bearded once or twice but never lunged or bit. Last night, I petted his back while he was on his basking branch, then curled my fingers around him and picked him up with no fuss. That was a first. Usually he hops down to the floor and glass dances all over until he gets to a corner where I can corral him :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brikev9799
Top Bottom