Um what is our little nut job doing?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julie77

Hatchling Member
This just started yesterday...

Sonic will be just basking away on her log under her MVB and and additional Halogen for added heat.. (TEMPS are 109.7 on basking spot) Suddenly she sits up... Stares up at the lights for a few.. and then... JUMPS! Up to the lid (wire) and hangs from the LID! Then drops.. Sometimes back onto the log which is about 12 inches from the top, sometimes to the bottom which is about another 13 inches.. Doesn't seem to faze her about the fall.. But she will get right back up there and look like she is getting ready to do it again! She JUST did it as I am typing this too.. Almost looking as if she is figuring out how to get OUT.. LOL.. I take her out and she rides me around the house, she gets her bath and gets to hang out with me some more.. She ALSO likes to taunt my husband... THAT is funny to see... But WHAT is she doing? She even tried to climb the cord from the temperature probe! Is it because she is bored? Not enough in her tank? She isn't too hot.. Cool side is 85... And I took away the Halogen for awhile since it is getting warmer out here thinking maybe because it was getting too warm for her.. The MVB only gets it to about 94... She gets misted Daily.. LOVES THAT... She eats her greens daily.. apples and strawberries here and there and Super Worms every other week. They will go through about 50 of them in the week.. God those worms smell ... LOL

But really.. Why is she jumping like that? She is quite the leaper but can she get hurt doing this? :shock:

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Julie, how old is Sonic? Is she housed alone? You mentioned that you have a MVB, how close is that to her in the basking area? Since your basking and cool side temps are both up to the highest that they should be, I think it would be a good idea to try moving the MVB up a little to try to get the basking temp and cool side temp each down a few degrees and see how she acts then. Or, rather than using a halogen, use a standard household light bulb instead as those don't throw out quite as much heat. Keep us updated on her.

TheRedDragonAkaRed

Hatchling Member
If it is also attacking the glass it might be seeing its reflection....

Or possible it is trying to escape....it oviously injoys you company maybe you need to spend an extra hour or two with it....

plus you need to try different things with your light

i am new with bearded dragons but i have figured out that they are all different and need different lights (less uvb or more or none)....

even change up the kind of light....exo terra might be great for your beardie but it also might be bad for it...

i think if you are keeping an eye on things its good to change things up.....EVERYTHING about your dragon can be changed short term if it dosnt work out switch it back

i am just thinking with the keyboard lol

ronni1221

Juvie Member
Brutus has been with me for 8 months and he still climbs glass and occasionally tries to jump out. (In fact, he recently did escape. He was just where I thought he'd be though... only missing for 10 minutes... Building a bigger viv.) I think if she's young, she'll be more apt to try to escape. She's just testing her boundaries. Young dragons are full of energy! Or, the alternate explanation is that she's training for the Olympics. :wink:

Julie77

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The MVB is about 12 inches or so from her when she basks. She has had the same light set up since we got her back in November. She is about 2 years old I am assuming... 17 inches long. not sure about her weight, need to get a scale for them. She has been in the same viv since I got them and separated them. I am thinking of gettting her a Wider one soon though.. But she just started to do this.. I am thinking it is because she wants out more... Cause she only starts running back and forth or "knocking" when she sees me.. LOL... Or my husband whom is convinced she wants to attack. LOL.. He had lizards as a kid and yet is freaked out by these guys.. I had her on my lap one day and she climbed up to the arm of the couch and LEAPED for him on the other couch.. Let's just say he screamed like a girl.. LMAO... He won't hold her.. (wimp) But he will go and "talk" to her in her viv..

Anyway.. I am thinking about getting a harness or two for them and taking them outside now that it is getting nicer out.. I would let them run around the house but.... With a Boxer and Two cats I am not sure that would be the safest route.. KWIM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom