UK beardie owners - brumation in July?

Beardie name(s)
Lemon
Hi all - has anybody in the UK had their beardie brumate in the summer? Lemon is 2 in October and brumated for the first time last October - December.

Over the last 4/5 days he has been showing all the signs of brumation again which is surprising considering we are in the middle of summer. His temps / UV etc are spot on, brand new T5 put in about 5 weeks ago. Looks as handsome and bright as always - eating really well when we coax him out of his cave (rocket and 25+ crickets yesterday as an example) , but he had to be removed from his cave and sat on his basking spot for an hour first. It's now 8.40pm and he hasn't been out of his cave at all today. Huge healthy poop yesterday.

Should we treat it as brumation and reduce heat / lights as we did for his winter brumation?

Thanks!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I probably would leave the light on the normal schedule. My guys will all occasionally have a sleepy (aka lazy) spell it usually don't last very long. I'd give him a week or two to see what he does. If he is still eating he likely won't do a brumation.

CitrusLemonBeardie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Lemon
Thanks xp, will monitor him as I have been for now! Would you pull him out to bask ahead of feeding on his usual schedule or only feed if he has come out to bask independently?

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
I'm interested in this too. It was lazy days happens periodically and I do not know what to do with feeding and heating.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
If they eat then i put them in the basking and let them do their own thing from there. If they don't eat i leave them be. I don't try to coax them to eat, i offer food and let them decide.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom