UHHH, so apparently my male is a female?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, its been a while since ive been on this forum and its been a while since ive been thoroughly confused about these species, but today topped it all....okay so let's start with, around october of last year, lazzy my new found female and peanut my 100% positive female started acting lethargic and slowly cutting back on eating and doing alot more sleeping....i had/have them in a room with the heat turned off, so it gets cooler in there than the rest of the apartment, which is why i assume they started brumating....okay, so mid janruary, they start to come out of it....everythings been fine except randomly, lazarus started wanting to dig all the time....so i made him a sand box, wondering why he was all about the dig....about 2 weeks ago i gave him the sand....today, i come home from work with 7 freshly laid eggs sitting in his tank....which now leads me to discovering he is a she....or is he? since it happened, ive been kinda frantically searching online to try and find anything about hermaphrodite beardies and so far, it's basically telling me that its not possible, and that he is in fact a she....

Now heres wats throwin me off....he/she is TWICE the size of my positive female beardie, he/she is also very territorial, and will bob often at my female when shes by his/her tank....ive also let them together on several occasions, post brumation, and he/she definitely tried to mount....ive also let them together in the past (theyre both around 2 years old) and he/she has repeatedly tried to mount her.....sooo, excuse my french but W T F is GOIN ON????

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
The size diff is the larger one is the dominent female.
Females can be just as agressive and territorial as males.
Im willing to bet a child that if you seperated your dragons the little one would be a diff animal.

lamofbodom

Original Poster
theyre both in seperate tanks BC i thought they were opposite sexs....the smaller one is ALWAYS more aggressive, the bigger one doesn't want anything to do with her....but like i said before, when they came out of brumation, the big one, as she always did, was bobbing at her and even tried to mount several times i allowed them together....as for the other, shes NEVER once bobbed at her reflection or anything like the big one does....shes a little more skittish to hold than the big one as well....since i posted, 3 more eggs popped out...i just ran to get her some collards, crickets and pinkies so she can stock up cause shes looky hella puny right now, and extremely beat =/ ....my little lady, im so proud of her....and i had no idea he was a she, she even loooks like a girl now lolol

Heather13lucky

I have been experiencing similar behavior in one of my females. I have housed these two girls together for a year or more now and until this spring everything was very ho hum and they got along great. Now, my yellow female has been very aggressive with my older red female and also mounted her several times, tail wrapping around really trying to breed but from what I could see nothing actually came out. She is a confirmed female and layed an infertile clutch last year. I have since seperated them but would love to hear any insight on the female on female mounting. Not just grabbing the neck, like doing the whole shaky thing haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom