UGH...she is still mean....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mom2twinsplus2

Hatchling Member
I am so frustrated. My little beardie just got back from going to visit a local beardie breeder/friend (reform school, as I like to think of it) who has a ton of beardies and thought she might be able to make her sweeter/tamer and apparently she did alright there..but she is back here now and she is just as mean as ever. I am so disappointed.

My mean beardie is my second beardie. My first one was purchased locally from breeder mentioned above and came just as sweet and wonderful and she can be...not a mean bone in her body. My second one was purchased from the for sale forum here from beardedwizard and she is just mean, mean, mean....mouth gaping and black bearding and trying to bite me everytime I reach into her cage. I do all roach/cricket feeding outside the cage so it is a lot of nasty interactions.

At reform school, my friend put my beardie in with several other females all the same size as her. I also think she was in a cage with a sliding glass door at least some of the time...here she is in a 55 gallon aquarium so I have to reach down. I figure one of these two things might be the difference...either that or she just hates us. I am not really inclined to get her a new cage at this point...I think I am closer to Craigslisting her...grrrrr. I am debating getting another beardie her same size to put in with her for a bit to see if that will help...I have talked to several experts recently who think that can make a big difference with younger beardies but then I will have a 3rd beardie and I haven't seen one listed that I have just fallen in love with in a while and it would need to be 10 or 11 inches just like her to be useful.

I don't know...I am so frustrated with her. It is worse now that it was before she went to the reform school...I guess I got my hopes up for her a bit too much. She is in full shed at the moment so that might make her a bit grumpier I guess..at least she will be prettier in a few days.

Just grousing a bit....

Alison

Freeie

Extreme Poster
I wouldnt buy another and put in with her. I think it has alot to do with you having to reach down to get her. I have to reach down in 3 of our vivs and i had to start comming down to their level at the other end and then comming to them at their lvl. Only one we had was Bobble that was a little meanie at 2 months. Took a week to get him to stop trying to bite me. I did the food in my hand so when he opened his mouth at me i put it in there and then petted him for a while. I did that about 6 times a day or more every day for the week then he stopped trying to bite me or puff up at me. Im sure shes stressed being moved and moved and then put in with beardies then moved again. Id give her a bit to settle down and then try taming her. But if you cant handle/tame then find her a new home.

gunner1

I agree with the post above I had an iguana that I had to rehome cause never could get him tammed. I just got my beardie a month ago and he isn't overly friendly and has opened his mouth and puffed up at me from time to time during shed or I think when he needs to poop. But when I finally get him in my hand he is fine. I had to keep at it though I held him for five min several times a day for a week to get him to this point. I to am currently looking and watching craigslist for a cage that open from front instead of the top to help with him thinking I want to eat him.
If you can't get him tamed then he needs to go to an extreamly ecperienced owner and I do think after everything that I have heard that they are very sensitive so everytime something changes in the room, cage, or temps they can go through relocation stress all over again. Gunner dosen't like to be messed with when he is stressed and more than likely yours wont either

mom2twinsplus2

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Tried the food thing over several months...that had no effect at all on her.

I don't think it is stress from being moved...she showed no signs of it going to her "reform school" and her eating is not affected at all today at home.

Could well be the reaching down thing...I guess I could try moving my skink to her cage and her to his (he's got sliding glass doors)...I dunno. She is not too bad out of her cage...she sometimes tries to bolt but doesn't mouth gape ever or black beard often..but getting her out of her cage is really not fun. It is not hard to do but it just stinks having her be so unhappy to hang with me.

I have never rehomed a pet...I kind of would hate to have to do it...but I guess if she doesn't turn nicer, maybe I will think about it with her. Makes me sad to think about. She really did seem so much happier with the other beardies at my friends though...I am just not sure I want the extra beardies for the long haul...I wish the silly girl would just get over this nonsense already...ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom