UGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH Greens.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bob is giving me such a hard time about his greens. I buy fresh greens twice a week as I hate if they are limp at all. Collard, mustard, turnip, yada yada. His salad consists of two greens, one veggie...usually some type of squash and one fruit. (I have tried many). Everything is fresh...fresh...fresh. I have tried sprinkling it with his calcium...and without. I give it to him in the morning at 6am and then no crickets till I get home from working at the school ....so like 230pm. Everything is chopped into finely cut confetti. I am not sure that he is touching any of it...I do occassionally see some greens on the ground...but it doesn't look like he touches much other than maybe a piece or two of the greens ...nothing else. And...if he walks over to his dish and I am sitting on the couch...he will look over at me and then walk away from his dish.

I know that when he gets older his diet needs to be 80% greens and at this rate...I am barely getting 1/4 of 1%. Anyone have any other suggestions that I am not doing at this point.

Geez maybe it is me...I can't get the human child to touch a veggie or a green either.....ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. :banghead:

ses2682

When I first brought Leroy home he wanted nothing to do with the greens I put in his cage everyday. if anything I was just happy the crickets were eating them and then he'd eat the greens when he ate the crickets. I don't know exactly how old he is because I got him at a petstore..but he was about 5 inches long when I brought him home. Now he is 8 inches..and about two weeks ago I caught him taking a bite out of some greens. Now he is slowly eating a few leaves of mixed greens everyday... I'm imagining it is a gradual thing with them. Sooner than later they get that urge to have some greens with their bugs... I'm sure Bob will get the hang of it soon.

AMHaak

Juvie Member
I did not get my beardie to eat greens/veggies until he was almost 2 years old. My other bearded dragon (who is 6 years old) will not eat veggies at all unless it is baby food green beans. Just make sure that you are giving them the proper nutrients when you dust their bugs to make up for not eating greens.

bayoupig5

Sub-Adult Member
Well, Emmy is a year now, and has yet to eat greens!!!! I've tried everything too, nothing works. She has maybe eaten 1/8 of a cup of greens total since I got her at 7 weeks. Of course, now she's not eating at all, but that a different story. Just wanted to let you know that you are not the only one out there.

jewl495

Juvie Member
Since you buy so much anyhow try blending them up to spoon feed. I blend up a batch every other day. I reserve enough for my dragon for that day and the next. Then I give the rest of the greens to my dogs and my feeders. My roaches LOVE blended greens.

BeardieNewbie15

Hatchling Member
Okay this is going to sound kinda weird but what does your food dish look like? With my beardie I got her to eat veggies by #1 not offering anything but and #2 getting a new food dish that is almost flat so she can see the pile of greens. Could work for you? Seems a bit tricky, since every beardie is different :p

BPelizabeth

Original Poster
my dish is actually a lid to a tupperware....I wanted something really flat since he is still a baby. Maybe I need to get something glass??

I will try the blending next....gosh I will try anything at this point. Silly boy!!

Thank you for your suggestions.

Loganator

Juvie Member
I'm sure you have tried lots of different veggies? When young, our Izzy would not touch veggies for months. I kept continued to try a variety of different veggies, until one day I tried yellow bell peppers (we had tried green and red ones before, with no luck). He loved them! So, until he was about 11 months old the only veggie he would eat was yellow bell peppers. I continued to give the greens in the hopes that eventually he would take to them. At around 11 months old he suddenly began picking at the green stuff. A little at first, then within a couple weeks he was devouring the greens. I guess he just grew out of the "yucky" veggie stage like kids do.

jewl495

Juvie Member
I didn't see just how old your little guy is???? I agree with everyone else not all babies will eat their greens. If Bob is big enough to eat supers (15 in) you can add those to his salads and hope he gets some greens in his mouth on accident. However, if he is still pretty young I would just keep doing what you are doing and blend up some greens on occassion(just to get him used to the taste. When jazz was a baby I would blend up different fruits and give it to him in a dropper. I started adding it to his salad and he would eat it better that way. Just keep trying different little things and he'll come around. :)

BPelizabeth

Original Poster
Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaa so there is hope for him yet...lol. Thank you guys for all of your advice. I will keep trucking on with the veggies!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom