Two very ill baby beardies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JessyH

A friend of mine got given two young beardies, she's a gecko person so she's given them to me. they're both approx 5 months old, male and a female.
I've named the female Ella, and the male Fynn.

Both are very ill, more Ella than Fynn. I have two adult beardies, but I'm not as experienced with young ones, so I need a bit of help please. :/

Fynn has paralysis in his back legs, almost anyway. He twitches them and is able to move his hips a little, and twitch his toes, but that's it. He's a chunky beardie, very alert, eating well and looks fine. His back legs don't bother him at all, but means he finds it hard to climb. He can climb somewhat, and if he over turns he can flip himself back over no problem. I've given him several baths to see if it's impaction, but seems to be more likely he's trapped a nerve somehow, possibly fractured or broken his back?

The female, Ella.. well, it isn't looking good. She's got servere calcium deficiency and sponge jaw. Thankfully, her eyes haven't set in.. so maybe there is hope. I've been giving her a mixture of avipro with waxworms, washing it down with cali dust mixed with water. She's extremely lifeless, [eg, i can lay her on her back and she won't move at all, not even flinch].. the only time I've seen her move was after I'd fed her, she moved her head up and then back down. I thought she was dead.

What else can I do for these two? My two older ones are very healty [both approx 2 years old].. and never had these problems, so i'm unsure what to do. please help?

I've only had them a couple of days, but I've grown incredibly attached to these two... please help me save them?

- Jessy xxx

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Are they housed separately? I suggest that they are if they are not already. It will just stress them too much when they are sick.
About Flynn, perhaps he did injure himself if he is not showing any signs of metabolic bone disease unless it is metabolic bone disease, just advance. Does he have any physical deviations? The twitching, etc is indicative of metabolic bone disease, or a spinal injury or even impaction. However, you should be able to feel that large of an impaction & you have already checked that out.
As for Ella, poor girl. She already has advancee metabolic bone disease. That is very sad. What type of UVB light will you use on her? I suggest at least a Reptisun 10 flourescent tube bulb or the Megaray mercury vapor bulb. Also, I would recommend using liquid calcium to help her absorb calcium better. Go easy on the protein right now, as her body sounds very fragile.
Have either one of them gone to the bathroom yet?
What is their appetite like?

Let us know how things are going.

Tracie

JessyH

Original Poster
Ella passed away in the early hours of yesterday morning, it's devestating but in some ways I'm happy she's not suffering anymore, I did all I could for her, I just wish I'd have gotten her sooner and could've given her a better chance in life.

As for Fynn, he seems to be doing well. I did house them seperatly and he seems happy enough on his own, i'm using a reptisun 10 tube bulb, he doesn't appear to have any impactation as he did a big poo this morning! Hopefully it is a spinal injury that will heal in time, he's twitching his legs and he moves his hips when he's trying to climb.

Hopefully I can give this guy a better life,

rip Ella <3

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh I am very sorry for your loss of Ella last night. It is not your fault, & I too, wish that you could have gotten her sooner also. :cry:
Let's get Flynn all better now. Good that he is doing pretty well today.
Well, if he is having that large of a stool, the chances of him having an impaction are pretty slim, yes. IF he does have a spinal injury, it is most likely the soft tissue area, & not the bones of the spine. They very rarely injure those but it can happen. Usually, they injure or strain the areas around the spine. They do not have discs in between their vertebraes so they can slip out easily causing pain & pinching of their spinal cord. So, if they did injure something, & the soft tissues around the spine will swell up & can pinch the spine causing those types of symptoms that he is going through.
What you could do is purchase Serrapeptase, which is dried silkworm enzyme. You can buy it from: http://www.serrapeptase.org
It helps aid in the swelling of soft tissues & in joints that can be injured in them. It is pretty effective. Start with 25mg per day, divided up in 2 doses for the day.
Make sure the Reptisun 10 is within 6-8 inches from him for maximal UVB exposure.
Let me know how he is doing. Again, I am very sorry for the loss of your Ella. She will be with you always.

Tracie

JessyH

Original Poster
Thankyou for your information about Serrapeptase, I've never heard of it before so it's greatly appreciated. I'll order some and be sure to keep you updated on how he gets along.

At the bottom of his back/base of tail, the colouration seems to have changed, just in one spot, it's gone lighter than the rest. it's not overly obvious but I wondered if this was normal? his tail and legs are chunky and coloured fine, it's just the spot where he seems to have injured.

Thanks ever so much for your reply. greatly appreciated.

Jessy xx

Drache613":9c3f1 said:
Hello,

Oh I am very sorry for your loss of Ella last night. It is not your fault, & I too, wish that you could have gotten her sooner also. :cry:
Let's get Flynn all better now. Good that he is doing pretty well today.
Well, if he is having that large of a stool, the chances of him having an impaction are pretty slim, yes. IF he does have a spinal injury, it is most likely the soft tissue area, & not the bones of the spine. They very rarely injure those but it can happen. Usually, they injure or strain the areas around the spine. They do not have discs in between their vertebraes so they can slip out easily causing pain & pinching of their spinal cord. So, if they did injure something, & the soft tissues around the spine will swell up & can pinch the spine causing those types of symptoms that he is going through.
What you could do is purchase Serrapeptase, which is dried silkworm enzyme. You can buy it from: http://www.serrapeptase.org
It helps aid in the swelling of soft tissues & in joints that can be injured in them. It is pretty effective. Start with 25mg per day, divided up in 2 doses for the day.
Make sure the Reptisun 10 is within 6-8 inches from him for maximal UVB exposure.
Let me know how he is doing. Again, I am very sorry for the loss of your Ella. She will be with you always.

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Hm, that area has gone lighter, as though he might shed it possibly? Is that what it looks like?
Maybe you could post another picture of that area with it being white?
How is Flynn doing today, has he eaten pretty well?
The Serrapeptase works very well, & it has no side effects or taste, so you can sprinkle it on his greens or other food that he eats & he will not even taste it.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mysticsalten
Top Bottom