Twitch and Freud! Hatch 8-2-09 (Pic Heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smerf

Picture272.jpg
First few hours home!!!! Citrus x Leather Back. Hatched 8-2-09
Picture384.jpg
Twitch (we may change the name.) Taking suggestions.
Picture380.jpg
Little girl w/ no name. She has puckered out lips trying to get a pic of it to post. They were all very alert and active when we got there. The parents were huge healthy looking beardies. I guess I am not a expert at all. They both ate as soon as they got home. We are very excited to have them. :roll:

Smerf

Original Poster
They both are eating good and drinking so we are very happy. We know the little ones can be stressed out during this adjustment period. The people we got them from were very sad to see them go. Very tame. What kind of misting bottle does everyone use they don't like mine! :D

FaaFaa

Sub-Adult Member
Um, I don't mist. I'm not sure that anyone else does either. Everyone here bathes their beardies to keep them hydrated. Since yours are so tiny once a day would be good. Water up to their armpits that is warm, like for a baby, for as long as they will tolerate it. I use the kitchen sink and put a washcloth on the bottom for traction for the babies. Be prepared to change the water if they poop. They may not like it at first but they will get used to it, just don't leave them alone. They may drink the water, or they may not. Beardies do not usually drink water that isn't moving so it is very important to bathe them.

If you don't mind could you tell us about your set-up and what you are feeding your babies? Please take no offense by this request. You may be on the right track, but a lot of us (myself included) have been steered in the wrong direction in the beginning. When I started I had all the wrong lights and my temps were all messed up. I was even told to feed my baby mealworms, which is a big no-no.

Jen

Smerf

Original Poster
Picture381.jpg
This is the tank. I guess we can start there. I had a 20g but the kiddos broke it! I have a exo-terra basking spot lamp 100w. I have two repti-sun 10.0 uvb 18inch bulbs for penetration through the screen. I also have a 100w red night light. Although I think they see it. I keep a bowl of finely mashed beardie bites. The breeder was feeding them this already they love it and it has D3 and calcium in it. I also feed about a dozen small crickets a day they are always gone by noon. I know this is a big no no but they were feeding them baby spinach which I mist down first and cut up. We are slowly working in some other greens. They are both little pigs I am amazed at how much they eat and poop lol. We are also using a vitamin spray you spray them once a day from neck to tail. They don't like it. We handle them about 2-3 times a day. They love it. Basking spot holds steady at 115 cool side about 75. Basking and the repti suns are on a timer and on from 7:30am to 9:30pm. Temps at night hold about 75-70 one sleeps under the red night light. The other sleeps on the repti hammock. Frued has a open mouth I am putting up a pic of it. That's pretty much it. I'am open to suggestions we have wanted beardies for a long time and finally had the money to get them. So we want to get this right! We are already very attached to them.
Picture385.jpg
Frued's puckered lips. Should go away with proper calcium in the diet.
Picture384.jpg
Twitch.
Picture383.jpg
Feeding time with the cool side in the background.
Picture382.jpg
Basking spot

FaaFaa

Sub-Adult Member
Smerf, It seems like you are well on your way and I can only see a few adjustments that need to be made. (You're way better off than I was in this stage of the game) *Heat and Lights* The reptisun 10.0 tubes are perfect! There are only a few changes that I would suggest to your lighting/heating. You do not need the night light, their bodies need to cool off at night so as long as you heat your home they will be just fine. My guys sit fine overnight at 68*F, which is what I set my house at. Also your basking temps seem a little high 105*F would be better for them. You can fix this one of 2 ways, move the heat light up higher or you can see if the red light will work to get the temps right on the hot side. How are you taking temps? Are you using the little stick on thermometers that I see in the pics or do you have a probe? The probes are way more accurate, the others could be off by 20*! You can go to the hardware section of Walmart (where the outdoor thermometers are) and pick up an AcuRite digital thermometer with a probe for about $12. This is way more accurate and it is alos what most of us here use. (I too used the stick on kind in the beginning) *Food* The Beardie Bites you are using, are they the cactus flavored ones from Nature Zone? My male, Chaos LOVES those. But please remember that they are just a treat. If you look at the ingredients there are tons of stuff in there that your babies do not need. You could offer a few bites maybe once a week, but I wouldn't go more than that. When you feed crickets you want to give them as much as they will consume in a 10 minute period at least 2 times a day. Here is a great site that will help you know what is good to feed and what is not. http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutritionframeset.html I would just ditch the spinich all together since it is not a staple and use a collard green or some other type of green. Again these are all listed on the link I gave you. Your babies need protien now more than anything else, so it is important that you let them eat as many live feeders as they want a few times a day. Also remember that they need to be done eating 2 hours before lights out so that they can digest the food. You can offer crickets, silkworms, phoenix worms, and small roaches right now. Anything that is bigger than the space between thier eyes is a no-no because it can cause impaction issues. You want to stay away from mealworms all together, their shell is too hard to digest. Once they are 16 inches they can have superworms, my guys LOVES these, and they are a cheap feeder.

FaaFaa

Sub-Adult Member
OK... tell me more about the supplements you are using? What is this vitamin spray? Are you using a Calcium supplement? I feel like I've already written a book, so tell me what you are using with the supplements and then we can tweek it if needed. :p Please don't get upset or discouraged with my last post. You are doing really well, like I said you are way more informed than I was when I started. I know everything that I do because of this site. The people here are really helpful and they don't mind doing it either. Enjoy those new babies. And remember, we are here to help you. :p

Oh I forgot to mention this is a great feeder site, it's where I order all my feeders. http://mulberryfarms.com/
Jen

Smerf

Original Poster
Ok I willl adjust the lights. It does hold around 70 in my house at night. But the tank is by the front door, and we go outside to smoke. Thats why I bought the night light. I will take it out to night I have noticed that the sleep all pressed against the glass. Probably to stay cooler. Do you know anything about Frueds open mouth I posted the best pic I had of it. Thanks for the info about no feeding 2hrs before bed didn't know that. Ok vitamins and supplements. OK the spray is made by four paws. Its called Nature's Reptile vita-spray. This is what it says it provides as well as instructions. Its suppose to contain electrolytes, prevent dry skin, vitamins including D3. It also says it has other vitamins. Directions are once a day spray from neck to tail. External use only. I ordered a large cricket keeper from pet moutain, as well as a calcium supplement. The gut load and gel water I feed the crickets both contain calcium. Yeah those stick on thermometers suck. I am going to wal-mart tonight. The beardie bites are from Nature Zone not sure on the flavor it smells really fruity. It does contain D3 and calcium. But I will cut way back on it. I really love these little ones already and want to get this right. I want to give the best care I can. Its not fair to take a animal on of any kind and treaty it poorly. I take no offense from any suggestions made at all! If I hadn't found this site with all of you helpful people I am afraid they wouldn't have gotten the proper care. I just thought I knew how to take care of them. I got on here before I bought anything. I know that's why I got such a good start. It's all because of the good people on this site!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

Smerf

Original Poster
My large cricket keeper and my flukers calcium with D3 powder came today!! They ate so many crickets it was unreal! Like twice as many as they ate this morning.

FaaFaa

Sub-Adult Member
Hey Smerf, glad to see that you are getting things in order there for your babies. I know that it is frustrating in the beginning, I started out just like you. I thought I knew what I was doing, but I really was clueless. I spent so much money on things I thought I needed but didn't. Then there was the extra stuff that I needed that I didn't know I needed. It made me feel like my head was spinning, but I was all under control about 2 weeks in. I only started with one so I can just imagine how you feel. Are you still using that spray? I really don't know anything about it. If it were me I would get a powdered vitamin supplement, like your calcium dust. Also I'm not sure if you know but rule of thumb is to dust one meal a day 5 times a week with the calcium and 1 meal a day 2 times a week with the vitamins. So like what I do is calcium on Mon-Fri at the pm feeding and then vitamins Sat and Sun at the pm feeding. Of course as they age you will adjust that, but I can't help you there since I haven't gotten to that stage myself. We are all here to help anytime that you need it. Have you taken or posted any news pics of the sisters? I don't know if you noticed but around here we are as addicted to pics of beardies as we are of the bearides themselves!

Have a great day!
Jen

gini

Sub-Adult Member
Your babies are adorable!!!! Sounds like FaaFaa has given you some great advise. I myself started with all the wrong stuff, Thank goodness I found this forum the night I got our baby. About Frueds mouth... I would post something about it in the Health section. I don't know anything about stuff like that, but I'm sure if you posted it somewhere else, someone with more experience will surely help you with it. Enjoy those babies!!! They don't stay that little very long... :D

Smerf

Original Poster
Yes I got new pics. I have enjoyed everyones on here also. I think I will discontinue use of the spray. And go get some Herpivite I hear thats good. For a multi vitamin. I am so thankful for everyones help on here. I owe a special thanks to Faafaa. She really helped me get things under way for a good start. With sound advice. I will post some new pics tonight. Days are a little hectic with two babies and little boys. Usally can't think straight until everyone is asleep lol. I maybe taking in a older male who needs a good home. The little ones already have me whipped I can't help but get them out sometimes. Again thank you to everyone for the advice.

FaaFaa

Sub-Adult Member
I can't wait to see the new pics. Keep us posted on the possible new addition. (You have become addicted quickly :D ) Listen, everything that I told you was stuff that I would have never known without this site. I was in your shoes in May and someone took the time to hold my hand thru all of my mistakes. So, you are welcome for all the help, but the real credit goes to this site and these people. Don't forget we are here to help. I'm home all the time and off and on here thru the day so keep that in mind too if things get crazy. (Both of my kids are now in school so I have my days to breathe and clean LOL)

Jen

Smerf

Original Poster
I know what you mean I was so happy for school to start again!!! Just for a little peace and quiet. Well I got a few pics before bed tonight. So here ya'll go. :D
Picture408.jpg
Bath time!
Picture409.jpg

Picture405.jpg
Basking together.
Picture400.jpg
Freud measured 6 in and Twitch 7 in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FalkorBeardie :3
Top Bottom