turning off ReptiGlo 10 compact & BEES

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to turn off the ReptiGlo 10 we have. I don't have enough money now to buy another light for at least a month or so. So... We live in Southern Cal. How much time does he need outside to make up for not having a UVB source in his encolsure? I have a basking bulb there of course.

Is it better that he has NO UVB in-tank than the bad one? That's hard for me to believe.

So how long outside?? I don't ahve a tank or bucket for him, he's out on the iceplant. Where, by the way he hunted bees for a long time. I hope he's okay in the long run from that. Any long term effects from eating a bunch of bees????

auntylolo

Extreme Poster
Hard to believe I know, but he will be much better off without the reptiglo until you can get a decent bulb. I would say about an hour of good sunshine will make up for it, but don't beat yourself up if you can't manage that every day.
As for the bees, I know of dragons that have eaten bees and been ok, and of others that have not taken it quite so well. Whether it depends on the type of bee, or just the individual beardie I don't know. If it was one of mine, I'd like to think I'd been lucky and then watch them like a hawk so they never had another chance to snatch one.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Perhaps someone has an extra tube around that they can let you have until you can afford the funds for the new one ?
Just a thought.
Janie.

momof2boys

Original Poster
Well, he seems to be doing great after eating what was probably TWELVE bees. Amazing. These bees don't sting very often, in fact my kids pick them up. I know, terrifying. They've been stung only once. Anyway hopefully I can figure out a way to put him out there without him hunting bees. The problem is that he knows where they are now and runs down to the iceplant immediately where they are everywhere. I do have another Jade plant to try with less bees!!!

As for the light, I'm gonna go see how much the fixture is at the hardware store for the ReptiSun 10.0 tube.

I still don't kknow what wattage I'm supposed to buy on that tube light though.

auntylolo

Extreme Poster
Wow - 12 bees?!

The wattage for the tube will depend on what length you go for, the uv tubes don't have an output any higher than a regular fluorescent tube :)

momof2boys

Original Poster
Got it that makes perfect sense.

Yes, 12 bees and so far he's fine. He's pooped twice and the poop was fine ... well, except there was a WHOLE waxworm in one of the BMs... Gross.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom