Turks with Dubia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KINGSAME

Hatchling Member
I went into my Dubia Colony tonight and noticed about 3 or 4 turks were in there also. Maybe when I just added a lot of about 100 they(turks) were mixed in with the new dubia. Should I get them out? They are a lot faster then the dubia..lol

augsburg1530

Juvie Member
I found some lobster roaches living with my dubia, I assume my son mixed them up. They lived together in what seemed like harmony for a few months until I separated my male feeders out of the colony at which time I also got the lobsters out. Apparently they had babies because I keep finding more of them!

So I don't think it is a big deal, catch them when you separate out the male feeders and you should be fine.

Eric

patrickb

Juvie Member
Eric is right, it isn't a huge deal right now. They could potentially take over and eliminate the Dubia since they breed much faster. But that is long term. Short term, there will be no harm. Mid term, I would be looking to get rid of them as soon as possible, like Eric said next time you sort em out. If any of those Turks are mature females, then I would step up my game plan much sooner though and try to prevent them from laying ooths in the Dubia bin to keep it under wraps before it happens.

Turks and Dubia look totally different, so something that would work very well is to take small batches of all the roaches out (a couple hundred at a time) and put them in a container with a lid, slap them in the fridge for 10-20 minutes. They will appear dead after they have cooled down enough and it is much easier to pick out the Turks then. You have to work quick when you pull them out of the fridge, because they will be warmed back up and running around after about 5 mins. This does stress the roaches to an extent, but it will not kill them, just don't leave them in the fridge overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikeb
Top Bottom