Trying not to be THAT mom

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
SHBailey":sm7mtm48 said:
Don't feel bad -- you're not the first person to get duped by those bearded dragon kits they sell at the pet stores and make you think you're getting all the right stuff :roll: . And you probably won't be the last, either. :(

This raises an interesting question. I've been doing 12 hours on and 12 hours off with the lights for both of our reptiles (one bearded dragon and one corn snake) year round for at least the last 4-5 years or so -- meanwhile the light coming from the windows varies widely from summer to winter here in Alaska. I figure that's an artificial photoperiod resembling equinox, but you say that looks like winter to a beardie and it should be as much as 16 hours/day, Kingofnobbys? You may have to explain that one. :? Electric bills are an issue around here, but if keeping the lights on longer will help make our beardie happier and healthier, we'll certainly consider it.

I did add a couple of hours to the lighting schedule when he was sick two years ago in the middle of the winter. Couldn't tell if it was the illness or if he was trying to brumate, but he couldn't afford to brumate until he got better anyway, so we were trying to convince him it wasn't really winter. It didn't seem to really make much difference, so we went back on the 12 hour schedule sometime after he seemed to have recovered as much as he was going to.

This viewtopic.php?f=1&t=236209&p=1815777#p1815777 will address this question , showing my logic and observational reasons for advocating a photoperiod about 16hrs..

Electric bills are expensive here in Australia too . My winter quarterly power bill was $1100 (all electric house - no gas no solar no wood , and I run our big aircon 24/7 in winter (and in summer)) .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwe6634ee1
Top Bottom