Trying a new baby soon.....again

Status
Not open for further replies.

trinity040400

Juvie Member
I had bought a new baby beardie about a month ago , Drago, and he only lived for 18 days. :cry: He looked ok when I got him but the other dragons in the tank looked sick and he was just so darn cute I let my heart make the choise instead of my head. :roll:

I am ready to try again but there are a few things I want to get clear first.

I know when they are new they have relocation stress and should not be handled, but what do I do when I feed it? If I put the crickets in the cage they hide and are really hard to get back out if they are not eaten. So I would take out all the hidding places before I put in the crickets but this would stress the dragon. Is it ok to take him out to eat then put him back when he is still new?

Same question about a bath, my last dragon keep getting dehydrated everyday so is it ok to take him out for baths?

The biggest problem I had with Drago was I thought he wasnt eating because of stress but by the time I thought he was getting to skinny it was already to late. At what point do you step back and say he might be sick? Drago stoped eating one day and died 5 days later.

I am exited to try again but I am also a little scared too, thank for any help.

LLBlue

This might not be exactly what you are asking, but when I was looking I read that you should get one that is at least 6 inches nose to tail. The one I bought was small for her age (I didn't realize that until later - she's still small, though she did grow), but I think it really helped that she was a little bit bigger. I used to take her out and put her in a smaller cage and put the crickets in there and she did fine with that. She was already eating greens when I got her. I didn't give her a bath every day, but I did every few days. Overall, it seemed to work pretty well that way. I would still be a little nervous to get one as small as the ones I see in Petco/Petsmart-they are so tiny, and I've read that the really small ones are more frail.

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
I think if you limit handling to feedings and baths, it'll slowly introduce him to your hand and being handled. Some people recommend handling immediately after getting ur baby, so it's all up to what you're comfortable with.

When I started with Darwin, I had him in a 40 gallon, and I would section off about 1/2 of it with less decorations during feeding time. That way I would have an easier time recapturing uneaten crickets and he'd be able to hunt them more effectively (I've noticed he'll give up on a specific cricket if he misses it the first time).

It took Darwin a full 2 weeks to start eating normally. But what he did do was increase slowly the amount he'd eat per day. Look for an active and bright beardie, and when you notice lethargic behavior or irregular pooping, that is the time to be worried, and seek a vet.

Best preventative care you can give though is to make sure everything is set up at optimal level before you get the new one home. Fresh start :D Good luck!

trinity040400

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well I my new dragon yesterday and he is FAT! :mrgreen: He already ate 9 butterworm and 1 silkworm! Tryed crickets but wouldnt touch them, try again tomorrow. Will post pics soon.

MartianMonkey

Hatchling Member
I know how you feel Trinity. I pre-purchased a high end morph before it was hatched. I had her for almost a month and she died. I noticed that she quit eating and less than a week later she was gone. I did think mine was small for her age when I got her. She lived to be right around 3 months old and was only about 6 inches long.

I hope you have good luck with your new baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buddy- The Bearded Dragon
Top Bottom