trouble with thermostat/heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavey1892

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Got the probe thermometer. My temps are. BASKING 99.3F / MIDDLE 91.4F / COOL 85.1F.
Are they ok temps? He seems to sit in his cool side alot.

Frito

Hatchling Member
cool end is a little on the high side but ok basking temp could be a little higher but if hes not sitting under it you might want to turn it down

are you leaving the probe directly under the basking spot for long periods of time? it can take as much as an hour to get a good stable reading with many probe thermometers

is your UVB light source close to the dragon at the basking spot and what is your UVB light source? (brand and type of bulb?)

cavey1892

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So...would a move the probe from my thermostat closer to heat buld? so the cool end can get a bit cooler?My thermostat isnt turned up to maximum temp either.
A left in in for abt 30-40 mins at each part of viv. All do it again today and al leave it for an hour.

A put the probe under basking spot on top of sand. Hes got a log to sit on or under at his basking spot.
DSC00812.jpg

Thats Pic of Viv.

Am using a Arcadia D3 12% 30w. Its not close to basking spot.( in pic its on viv window side up top)17" away from basking spot.

Am waiting on other probe thermometer coimg next week so ave got 2 in viv
Hope this helps

Frito

Hatchling Member
well few things then

with the probe you want to measure the basking temp at where he would sit so on the branch, looking at your picture that is quite a few inches higher than where you took the measurement so its closer to the light and will be hotter than below the branch.

ideally you want your UVB light source to be no more than 6-8" from his basking spot for tube florescents if hes not getting much UVB at the basking spot he may choose to go where the most UVB is rather than stay under the basking bulb or rotate his location back and forth, this is what you do not want to happen and why everyone says they need good UVB at their basking spot at all times to avoid that happening. UVB or lack of UVB elsewhere in the cage is ok and he may still go over there to cool off but i think this is likely your main problem.

also i just noticed you have a CHE in there but i do not see a bright basking light is that correct? if so ditch the CHE and put in a basking bulb or halogen spot lamp pointed at his basking spot. they need light to make it easier to identify that as the basking spot, CHE's are only useful to use at night in the unlikely event that your cage temps go below 65F, as long as they do not you do not need to use any heating at night :)

Frito

Hatchling Member
here is two different examples of how to setup basking spots and what the beardies should look like when they are under them enjoying the heat and UVB

Sandy's spot 100w zoo med halogen basking bulb (controlled by a dimmer) and the florescent is a 1x reptisun 10.0 and 1x daylight florescent bulb (dual 48" shop lamp with reflector)
her basking spot is about 100-105F depending on room temperature (70-75F) at the basking spot shes about 8-10" from the UVB bulb on here rock there where she sits, the fixture has a very shiny reflector however so it increases the UVB output by a pretty large amount
IMG_20100718_092813.jpg

Lizzy's spot is a Powersun 100w MVB and a 75w GE reveal halogen spot lamp also controlled by a plug in light dimmer to control the basking temp
her basking temps run a bit higher than Sandy's about 105-110F but that is because she prefers more heat, her previous owner gave her way too much heat so shes kind of used to it i guess
IMG_20100718_092825.jpg

cavey1892

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So al put the probe on his branch were he basks.
My UVB is to far away then? Its 17" away, its up the top of viv.
Would it be better at back of viv but futher down?
CHE?? Whats this? sorry dont no what it means :banghead:
Am using a Elstein 250w lamp for my basking. Is that ok? Got it from reptile store last week.
Can a use a smaller wattage than 250W??

Hes usally sittin under log or in cooler end when a get in from work. If ave mist anything just say . thanks

Frito

Hatchling Member
CHE stands for ceramic heat emitter, its the ceramic "bulb" in your picture on the right side. they are for nightime heating use and unless its gets colder than 65F in your room at night you do not need it. what you need is a bight white basking bulb capable of getting your basking spot to somewhere in the range of 100-105F. generally a 60-75 watt halogen flood lamp or a 100 watt non-flood halogen outputs enough heat to get this basking temp. you can also use normal incandescents rather than halogen but it may require more wattage to get enough heat. 250W however is extremely high and only a CHE would take that much power to heat a basking spot. for an adult and yes you should move your florescent fixture down and much closer to the basking spot as well. ideally you want it 6-8" from the basking spot.

if you do these two things

cavey1892

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yes it is a CHE. Al get a new basking light somewhere online. What would u recommened?
Ave got a 48" long / 19" width / 21" high viv.
Would it be best to put UVB light on back of viv same as CHE or just lower down at window side?
Would the heat from Basking light damage if to close?
The UVB light is 38" long aswell.

Been looking on net. Seen Zoo Med Repti-Halogen Spot 100W, HB-100
Is this anygood?

Frito

Hatchling Member
yeah it will work but so will halogen spot lamps from the hardware store etc. they are cheaper and will provide enough heat easily, regular incandecent bulbs can work good as well but will be less focused with their heat output what mainly matters is that the bulb outputs enough heat and its bright while doing so and yes move your UVB bulb down closer and over so it will be preferably 6-8" from the basking spot, if necessary move your basking spot to make this happen

cavey1892

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Am going to pet store the morn, If a cant see a light their all get it off the net.Am going go with either (Lucky Reptile Neo Sun Spot Lamp 100W or Zoo Med Basking Spot Lamp 100 Watt )
All move my viv around for tommorrow aswell. All bring the basking light closer to window and put UVB on back of viv. Would a get some king of reflector for my UVB light?
Ave got 2 probes thermometers in viv now, 1 in cool end and 1 in hot end.

The temps for them are
COOL - 81F
Basking ( on log ) 107F
Under Log- 94.5F
How are they temps? Bring hot end down a touch.

Thanks

BeardieBloke

The temps look good, my beardies have always liked it a little more warm, but that's just them..

Sometimes you can buy a temp adjustor lamp, comes in handy during those hot days with no A/C :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulesD
Top Bottom