Trouble with Slate Tile - too cold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seiryu

Hatchling Member
So I finally got my dragon and yesterday his enclosure is finished. It's a 75g long (4ft x 1.5 ft). At night, the ambient temp in the room is 72-75. However I noticed that the slate tile he is on, is actually reading like 62-65 only. I have a temp gun to check temperatures.

Any recommendations? I could use a CHE, provided he stayed under that spot at night. The enclosure is big enough where the CHE would be pointless unless he did stay under it. I also thought about the whole burrito thing, which I can do. But I have not tried it with him, so not sure if he would stay in it.

My other thought was placing a blanket every night on the floor of the enclosure and hope he sleeps on it. I did put a blanket in there, let it sit for a good hour and it read the same as the room temp (72 at the time). While the tile right next to it still read 63.

This is thankfully just a winter issue (Michigan). And during the summer, I only run the air in the house if it's over 80. Most times I don't even run it if it is.

camaro87

I'm having the exact same problem. I thinking of using a CHE or getting one of those zoomed heating pad and placing it under the tank to heat up the tile/substrate

Seiryu

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well, I have been fiddling with things. I ran a black light (75w) for about an hour (since it was still night time). And since my enclosure is decently enclosed it actually heated up the rest of the slate (on the far opposite end) to low 70s. It of course has ventilation, but does trap the heat good.

He of course was awake even with the black light, so it's either a CHE and hope it does the same (Get to figure out which wattage gets the right temps too, fun!) or burrito him and hope he stays!

I feel bad for waking him up at 5am but it was just too cold :(.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom