Trouble getting food

NocturneRosen

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Lumine
I'm not sure if I'm just over thinking this or if something might be wrong and wasn't sure whether to put it under eating or health. I've noticed it for a while and figured it was just because of line of sight but I dunno maybe I'm tired and overthinking it right now it is 2:30 am so that's also possible but my beardie kinda has issues catching food or getting it. Like he's very hungry very active hot/baking side of his tank is usually about 100-110 cooler side 80-90 he eats a ton and honestly always wants to eat but I've noticed when he tries to eat he sometimes has issues. Like hell try to grab it and either just barely miss it or like in the case of when I'm using tongs he'll miss it or bite too high on the tongs and I always just figured I'd because their eyes are on the sides of their head so they probably can't see that great forward directly ahead of them or at least I assume so based on where their eyes are but now I can't sleep and I'm worried what if he has issues because something is actually wrong and it's not just they can't see great right in front of him so barely missing the food it's just that. I can update tomorrow with not about his tank size and uv light I do know his heat bulb is 100watt 120v (replaced that earlier this week so remember that part) but I don't want to wake him up to check everything especially if I might just be over thinking this cause I can't sleep.

Edit: figured I should specify issue is only when he's eating

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I'm not sure if I'm just over thinking this or if something might be wrong and wasn't sure whether to put it under eating or health. I've noticed it for a while and figured it was just because of line of sight but I dunno maybe I'm tired and overthinking it right now it is 2:30 am so that's also possible but my beardie kinda has issues catching food or getting it. Like he's very hungry very active hot/baking side of his tank is usually about 100-110 cooler side 80-90 he eats a ton and honestly always wants to eat but I've noticed when he tries to eat he sometimes has issues. Like hell try to grab it and either just barely miss it or like in the case of when I'm using tongs he'll miss it or bite too high on the tongs and I always just figured I'd because their eyes are on the sides of their head so they probably can't see that great forward directly ahead of them or at least I assume so based on where their eyes are but now I can't sleep and I'm worried what if he has issues because something is actually wrong and it's not just they can't see great right in front of him so barely missing the food it's just that. I can update tomorrow with not about his tank size and uv light I do know his heat bulb is 100watt 120v (replaced that earlier this week so remember that part) but I don't want to wake him up to check everything especially if I might just be over thinking this cause I can't sleep.
Yes post what UVB your using --- I am having the same issue w/ Blaze - he is going into the vet on Wed and I am gonna find out whats going on w / his site as well - hes always had good lighting so I am wondering what happened - he is going to be 4 in July and was fine up until about 6 months ago -- I dont know if he can see either he moves around his tank fine but if I put him on the back of the chair in front of the LR window he falls off - did it twice last week fell onto the carpet he was fine but I have since not gotten him out I dont want him continuously doing it --
How old is the dragon? If hes over 6 months I would drop his surface basking temps to 95-100 and try and keep your cool side down in the lower 80's --

NocturneRosen

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Lumine
Yes post what UVB your using --- I am having the same issue w/ Blaze - he is going into the vet on Wed and I am gonna find out whats going on w / his site as well - hes always had good lighting so I am wondering what happened - he is going to be 4 in July and was fine up until about 6 months ago -- I dont know if he can see either he moves around his tank fine but if I put him on the back of the chair in front of the LR window he falls off - did it twice last week fell onto the carpet he was fine but I have since not gotten him out I dont want him continuously doing it --
How old is the dragon? If hes over 6 months I would drop his surface basking temps to 95-100 and try and keep your cool side down in the lower 80's --
Zoo med reptisun 5.0 Uvb is what it says is about 6 inches above his basking spot and Lumine is about 3 years old I lowered the temps this morning and I'll make sure they are staying lower but he has no issues walking or running into things or not seeing things its only when trying to get the food right in front of him

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Zoo med reptisun 5.0 Uvb is what it says is about 6 inches above his basking spot and Lumine is about 3 years old I lowered the temps this morning and I'll make sure they are staying lower but he has no issues walking or running into things or not seeing things its only when trying to get the food right in front of him
How tall is your tank? I recommend you get the 10.0 bulb - its more for reptiles than the 5.0 is geared for fish -- the distance is good for the 5.0 bulb -- those also need to be changed out in approx 5 months- how long is the UVB hood/ fixture?

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom