Trouble blinking in one eye, as if getting infected!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
Please help ! This is the first time I've seen this happen. THis morning MJ was playing with me right after bath time and I noticed that her left eye was blinking funny. I didnt' think anything of it until I saw that she was having trouble blinking, when she would blink, (i dont know how to explain but I"l try my hardest),.... its like there another think pink layer covering the eye, then it would go away. I'm in a panic right now, please help me. Could water have gotten in her eye during bath ?? I just gave her bath not too long ago. Could her eye be infected from whatever reason ? please help me.. what should I do ??

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Rainbow is their any drainage from the eye? Or any discoloration in it? It could of been from water getting in their. Can you post a picture?

Delshara

Hatchling Member
Nero just went through a major shed on his head and chin, and he was NOT a happy camper for three or so weeks... and while he was going through it he was doing the same thing. I saw that pink membrane a lot. We found out later that he was shedding his eyelids and around the eye as well, and he did have a tiny bit of gunk in the corner of the eye that was showing the pink membrane a lot. We haven't seen the pink membrane since the shed finished, and the gunk came off with the shed skin. So we think his eyes were just irritated by the skin and the gunky stuff. That membrane is a nictating (sp) membrane and it's supposed to be there, but I don't think it's supposed to be red or pink.

I bought some saline eyedrops from the drugstore (not for contacts, just regular saline), Visine type, but never ended up using them because the problem went away. I think it's still good to have eyedrops around, though. I got that information about the eyedrops from here on the boards. Hope this helps. :)

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Twobeardieguy":d4cc7 said:
Rainbow is their any drainage from the eye? Or any discoloration in it? It could of been from water getting in their. Can you post a picture?

Lance, there is no drainage from the eye nor discoloration. Only when she would blink then I'd see the pink layer covering the eye. I tried to take a pix but she seemed to have stopped doing it, and is now taking a nap. I'm just really worried, could it be something serious ? If water did in fact get into the eye, is there anything I can do to make her more comfortable ??

Delshara":d4cc7 said:
Nero just went through a major shed on his head and chin, and he was NOT a happy camper for three or so weeks... and while he was going through it he was doing the same thing. I saw that pink membrane a lot. We found out later that he was shedding his eyelids and around the eye as well, and he did have a tiny bit of gunk in the corner of the eye that was showing the pink membrane a lot. We haven't seen the pink membrane since the shed finished, and the gunk came off with the shed skin. So we think his eyes were just irritated by the skin and the gunky stuff. That membrane is a nictating (sp) membrane and it's supposed to be there, but I don't think it's supposed to be red or pink.

I bought some saline eyedrops from the drugstore (not for contacts, just regular saline), Visine type, but never ended up using them because the problem went away. I think it's still good to have eyedrops around, though. I got that information about the eyedrops from here on the boards. Hope this helps. :)

Thanks I'll try to get the eyedrop. Thats good to know but MJ isn't shedding at all . She hasn't shed in almost 2 months !! I'm assuming its due to the relocation stress. There is no gunk in her eye, just what you explained - pink membrane. So the eyedrop to get is just a regular saline eyedrops ? For irritated eyes or dry eyes ?

Delshara

Hatchling Member
I got the kind for irritated eyes, and yes, regular saline. Not contact lens solution. Just don't touch the tip of the bottle to the eye so as to keep the solution sterile.

I have to admit, I was nervous at the thought of giving him the eyedrops. But I've been watching him for the pink membrane to reappear but it's been three or four days since the eyelid shed and he seems totally fine. I hope the eyedrops work out and let us know how MJ is doing. :)

BaskingBaby

Sub-Adult Member
She probably got something in her eye and the third eyelid or "nictitating membrane" is trying to clear it. I'd just keep an eye on her for a while and not panic. If it doesn't clear up tomorrow maybe give the vet a call.

Forgot to add, a warm compress on the eye might help too. (Warm, wet washcloth)

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
BaskingBaby":8901c said:

Thanks that really helped. Yeah it looks like that but like I said , it doesnt look like that all the time. I only saw it when she blinked and it only happened for a quick second. I kept a close eye on her and she hasnt done it since. I even tried to open her eyes while she was sleeping lol, All i got was the death stink eye glare !

BaskingBaby":8901c said:
She probably got something in her eye and the third eyelid or "nictitating membrane" is trying to clear it. I'd just keep an eye on her for a while and not panic. If it doesn't clear up tomorrow maybe give the vet a call.

Forgot to add, a warm compress on the eye might help too. (Warm, wet washcloth)

Ok I'll try not to panic. It cleared up the rest of the day, but I'll keep an eye out today to make sure it doesnt re occur. Gosh this is such a scary thing, especially whne I"m at work, and I want to be by my baby's side to make sure she's not uncomfortable in anyway :cry: .

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Twobeardieguy":47769 said:
I am pretty sure since she did not have any problems before. :wink: Is everything ok today?

Well when I left for work everything looked normal, but offcourse she was still sleeping. I'm gonna see if I can leave semi on time today (i never leave on time), so I can watch her.

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
OK so when i got home frm work yesterday, I was able to watch her for a little bit.... no sign of the pink eye. Offcourse shortly after, she fell asleep. So i think she's ok. I still haven't bought the visine, might be good to have though. So keep us luck fam !! Hopefully I don't see it again ! Oh and ,.. if it doesn't occur.. should I still be worried and still put the visine in her eye ? or no ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom