Tropical Cockroaches are Illegal In Canada!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

warnisha

Juvie Member
Even though I am not in Canada I still find it interesting!!!! I wonder why they ban them since there is no way possible they could survive in the winter let alone reproduce! I mean they need high temps to breed and live long term! They don't even do well in our house without heat on they kind of go still!!!! lol!

TASTIGER

Extreme Poster
warnisha":1jq497wi said:
Even though I am not in Canada I still find it interesting!!!! I wonder why they ban them since there is no way possible they could survive in the winter let alone reproduce! I mean they need high temps to breed and live long term! They don't even do well in our house without heat on they kind of go still!!!! lol!
i know right! thats kind of strange..

SuzukiRider

Hatchling Member
Some parts of Canada do not get that cold in the winter. I'm guessing they would hibernate then come out when the time is right and breed like crazy. A flea, for example, can hibernate for up to 2 years then wake up and do it's thing.

After a while an animal adapts to it's environment. Look at killer bees. They were only in South America not too long ago and now they are migrating as far as the mid or southern states. We have people here in Alberta that breed Emu's and Ostraches. They come from Australia and adapted to the bitter cold winters of Alberta.

I'm glad I read this as I'm trying to find a way to ease the expense of creepy crawlers as they are expensive here and hard to get at times. My cricket supplier is unreliable at best. I read something on here I think that roaches are easy to care for and breed plus they don't stink like crickets.

A bit of trivia for you. Alberta Canada does not have any rats whatsoever. Also, no fleas.

thats canada for you. i live in california where some species of roaches could escape and thrive and they arent illegal here. canada needs to take the stick out.

I actually knew this. I live in Canada and I do know someone whom was selling roaches on Kijij and had DNR arrive and seize the roaches... his bearded dragon (not illegal in my area, nor is it legal, it is an omission) and his snakes as well, ball and corn neither are illegal, the snakes were returned, eventually, and the dragon in a roundabout way was also returned (not officially returned). He was given a warning for a fine (1000$ fine I was told) and in the year or so since they are re-arrived and asked politely to inspect his collection. (this time with out a search warrant)

If you have them it is a federal crime and you might want to keep it quite quiet that you do.

(he did allow them in as they alluded that if he did not they would return with a warrant based on the refusal. However they didn't 'see' the dragon or chose to ignore it)

SuzukiRider

Hatchling Member
I'm actually glad they're illegal in Canada? I had a bit of a had time following your post kitedragon. Are you saying there are places in Canada where owning a Bearded Dragon is illegal?

I've decided to start breeding superworms, they are less creepy than roaches anyway.

Sort of in my region there is a big list of what exotics you can own with out a permit. Bearded dragons are not on the list. Oddly crocodile monitors are fine!!!! When you go to apply for a permit I was told that you don't need one and the list is old. I asked if there was a new one and they have been working on it for 5 years now... Illegal? Not sure it is an odd grey situation to be certain.

Germ

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
kitedragon":19ri03k8 said:
Sort of in my region there is a big list of what exotics you can own with out a permit. Bearded dragons are not on the list. Oddly crocodile monitors are fine!!!! When you go to apply for a permit I was told that you don't need one and the list is old. I asked if there was a new one and they have been working on it for 5 years now... Illegal? Not sure it is an odd grey situation to be certain.
WTF - Just what area of Canada are you located, definitely have my curiosity up, now, lol. I was also having a little trouble following your post. I know of no where in Canada that owning a BD is a 'Grey Area'. This is exactly how stupid rumors get started, by the misread or misinformed. I have no idea how you even come close to arriving at that assumption from what you have stated in your post. It is as ignorant as stating that it is a 'Grey Area' about keeping a cat, dog, gerbil, hamster, guinea pig, fish & the list goes on and on, in captivity, because it is NOT on some Non/restricted list, whether 'Exotic' or not.
102-1.gif
SuzukiRider":19ri03k8 said:
I've decided to start breeding superworms, they are less creepy than roaches anyway.
Not anywhere near as nutritious or as good for the animal though. :lol: They are also 'Native' to Tropical South & Central America, so don't see much difference between their 'Invasive' impact on our environment vs tropical roaches.

G.

sorry to burst your bubble but...
http://www.gov.ns.ca/natr/wildlife/laws/pdf/App2.pdf

The list of what you can own WITHOUT a captive wildlife permit and impost also with out permits. As silly and or crazy as it is this is the law. I don't agree with it but have tried to abide by it. There are 5 agamids listed and nothing else. Every thing not appearing on this list requires a captive wildlife permit to own the real trouble is they are very hesitant to issue one at all (I have asked) I have been told that this list is old and it is going to be updated sometime but that has been the case for the last 5 years. I was told that I did not need a permit but they also refused flat out, to put that in writing, and to provide assurances that there is and will not be any problems either. So if you follow the LETTER of the law they are illegal here with out a captive wildlife permit. The real crux of the problem is to get a captive wildlife permit you need either a wildlife park licence, game farm licence, scientific permit, pheasant preserve permit, Falconry permit, or a fur farming licence. Oh and to buy anything not on 'the list' you need a game farm licence too. It is clear to everyone, government, and keepers there is massive problems but nobody is doing much about it.

This is what I mean about a grey area, you can go to the pet store and buy an animal you need to have multiple permits to buy own and keep but nobody checks or seems to enforce it either but it is still a law.

http://www.gov.ns.ca/snsmr/paal/dnr/paal085.asp

xqtggsl

Pixall":3dqxtwhv said:
forgive me, as I am ignorant of such matters, but isn't Canada... cold? :oops: If so then how can dubias be invasive? :?:

they are not, the ones made the regulations are not knowledgeable enough to understand that goes to show how sad our democratic society is. same reason why marijuana is illegal...

SuzukiRider

Hatchling Member
Germ":2usibhq5 said:
kitedragon":2usibhq5 said:
WTF - Just what area of Canada are you located, definitely have my curiosity up, now, lol. I was also having a little trouble following your post. I know of no where in Canada that owning a BD is a 'Grey Area'. This is exactly how stupid rumors get started, by the misread or misinformed. I have no idea how you even come close to arriving at that assumption from what you have stated in your post. It is as ignorant as stating that it is a 'Grey Area' about keeping a cat, dog, gerbil, hamster, guinea pig, fish & the list goes on and on, in captivity, because it is NOT on some Non/restricted list, whether 'Exotic' or not.
102-1.gif
SuzukiRider":2usibhq5 said:
Not anywhere near as nutritious or as good for the animal though. :lol: They are also 'Native' to Tropical South & Central America, so don't see much difference between their 'Invasive' impact on our environment vs tropical roaches.

G.

I've read on this forum actually that supers are far more nutritious than mealies and crickets. They have slightly more fat than mealies but don't have as much chilation (sp) which is better. They also don't die off easily like crickets, don't make noise and don't stink. I'm sticking with supers.

The laws here in Canada are a joke. It's like there's a law against jaywalking but no one is going to get fined. I seriously doubt there is no province where you need a permit for any pocket pet. If so, the pet stores would need one and would have to make sure the buyer has one as well. JMO :study:

Germ

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
SuzukiRider":1j13k172 said:
Germ":1j13k172 said:
SuzukiRider":1j13k172 said:
G.
I've read on this forum actually that supers are far more nutritious than mealies and crickets. They have slightly more fat than mealies but don't have as much chilation (sp) which is better. They also don't die off easily like crickets, don't make noise and don't stink. I'm sticking with supers.
I was & thought we were, referring to Supers vs Roaches. In my experience over the years, Supers are too high in Fat to be used as a Staple Prey Item. JMO :study:.

On this particular Forum, I have always found people 'Ditzing' Supers & Mealies, not feeding Supers to BDs <16" etc, etc. Not my opinion, but the opinion & preachings of many & seems to be the consensus, here.

The following thread is how & why I originally became a member of this forum. To find out why a member (another Canadian) of this forum, was so adamant about not feeding Supers or Mealies because she claimed she had learned that they were bad for them here on BD.org, while on a Canadian Based Forum (Reptiles Canada) ...
viewtopic.php?f=76&t=116230

But we are straying from the thread topic.

Have a good one.
Germain

Germ

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Sorry to stray from the original topic, again (My thread, can if I want, I guess :lol: ). But just wanted to clarify ...
kitedragon":92qt2wwi said:
sorry to burst your bubble but...
No 'Bubble to Burst' or 'Grey Area' HERE! ...
Happy.gif

Reply from my Query:
Ministry Of Environment":92qt2wwi said:
Good afternoon Germain

I am attaching you a link to the Captive Wildlife Regulations under the Saskatchewan Wildlife Act. In there under section 3, you will see what animals you can have in captivity without a permit.
http://www.publications.gov.sk.ca/details.cfm?p=938&cl=5
W-13.12 - The Wildlife Act, 1998
http://www.publications.gov.sk.ca/details.cfm?p=1604&cl=5
Captive Wildlife Regulations

If you require further information, please email us back and we will further assist you.

Thank you for your inquiry
Ministry of Environment
Government Of Saskatchewan":92qt2wwi said:
Licence not required
3 A person may hold in captivity, without a licence:
(b) the following exotic wildlife species:
(iii) lizards, crocodilians and snakes other than poisonous snakes or
snakes of the family Boidae (constrictors); and
(iv) frogs, toads, newts and salamanders;

Source of Excerpt - http://www.qp.gov.sk.ca/documents/English/Regulations/Regulations/W13-1R13.pdf:
BDs are NOT illegal & do NOT require a Permit/License in Saskatchewan, or in most, if not all, of the other Provinces that I am aware of ...

Germain

I am just lucky I guess. I still can't get a straight answer from nat resources I can't get a permit I cannot qualify, they say it is ok but are unwilling to commit to it either. Very frustrating.

I am looking at black soldier flies larva (Phoenix worms) I hate supers and don't love dealing with crickets much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom