Travelling

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am planning a trip for a week to visit some family. I will be driving there and it takes about 6-7hours. I would like to take my beardie with me. What is the best way to transport him so that he will stay warm enough as well as not get scared or sick from moving around in the car? I was thinking I would put him in his 30 gallon tank that I have for him and maybe have his substate heater plugged in to the car outlet. Will this be warm enough for him for the ride? I was just going to keep the tank in the from seat of the car. Would it be nicer for him if I were to cover the tank with a blanket or something to make him feel a little more relaxed? Maybe if it is dark enough in there he could sleep.
Anyt suggestions or help would be great. I am leaving in 10 days.

isabelleandpaul

Juvie Member
I'm sorry I have no experience, I just took Balrog for a 30 min car ride to get her from her babysitters for the weekend. I placed her on my daughter's chest, underneath her jacket, with a kind of warm rice bag (it's called "sac magique" or magic beg here). But it was for a short period of time, and it gets cold here in winter (it was -15C tonight). I guess it all depends on what kind of temps you can get in your car, and be comfortable with for 6-7 hours!

remi1

Juvie Member
How old is he? Keeping him in his tank sounds like a good idea, especially if he's smaller and since it's a long trip. You could also use those hand/body warmers wrapped in a towel, and place your beardie on top. Whatever your heating system is, though, keep an eye on it with a temp gun or probe thermometer to make sure he doesn't overheat.

sara24354

Sub-Adult Member
Substrate heater? What is that? Beardies sense heat from above not from below,so using an under tank heater or heat rock is not advisable as the beardie could get burned if it gets too hot.(Having said that) Using hand warmers would be your best bet open them and activate them,wrap it in a wash cloth or baby blanket and put it in a beardie burrito with your beardie (wrap your beardie in a small baby blanket,then put the wrapped up hand warmer it there too) they can stay warm for up to 20 hours depending on the type of hand warmer you get.

KristineKooyman

Original Poster
The substrate heater I use is on all the time to keep the sand warm, He does have a ceramic heat lamp on all day to bask with. Im not sure he would sit still long enough to stay in a blanket for the whole trip. I wrap him up in a blanket at home to keep him warm if I have him out of his tank for a while and he likes it for the first little bit then climbs out.
Thanks for the advice though...maybe I will plug in the basking light rather then the substrate heater. I just figured the heater might move around to much during the drive since I just having it sitting on top of the tank.

PHXSPAZZ

Hatchling Member
When we travel with spazz I start the car and warm it up , then we just put her on the dash[ i have a dash mat for her nails to grip on ] .
She will ride for hours up there!
Shes been to 4 states so far, as long as they are over 90 deg. she seems fine, just take a lamp and megray bulb.

DOUG, ROSE & SPAZZ

KristineKooyman

Original Poster
That sounds awesome!!! Spazz must love it. Unfortunetly I am up in Canada where it is cold...we are at about 3 degrees celcius right now. I was going to try and find a portable power source and plug him into that (well his heat lamp and lights). I was going to have his tank sit in the back seat of the car. I just hope its not to bumpy or anything.
Thanks for the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom