travelling with bearded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

redsage

Hello my name is Ruth-Ellen and I have been searching for information on travelling across the us/canadian border with my pet beardie, Lucy. We live in Alberta and will be crossing the border in southern AB. I would like to know if anyone has taken their dragon on vacation to the states? Some websites say that there is no paperwork required as dragons are not on the endangered species list but others say they need an inspection at the US border crossing. If anyone has experienced crossing the border with their pet dragon I would love to hear their experiences.

bltkpo

Juvie Member
Hey there

I live in that area and have been wondering the same thing. I have family in Montana and might want to visit them next summer.

I'd imagine calling the bordering crossing you are thinking of going through may be your best bet. They tend to have good advice on these things. (Last summer Kyle was thinking of bringing a cross-bow across the border, and was wondering if it needed to be registered and such. We couldn't bring it because the owner (his father) hadn't written us permission to do so.)

The number (I think according to this site http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/contact/general-generaux-eng.html) is 1-800-461-9999. They would know best :) Make sure you ask about going both ways - You may be able to get across the border to the states, but then have trouble coming back into Canada.

redsage

Original Poster
Thank you so much...I did call the border crossing yesterday and they told me that I have to declare her at the border (fish and wildlife) by filling out a form when I get there. I asked about medical records and so on and they said nothing is required. To air on the side of caution I will have my vet records and bill of sale from the pet store she was bought at. This way I should have no problem bringing her back since she came from Canada. I have some time before we leave so I am hoping to hear from someone who has crossed the border both ways successfully. I am not much of a trail blazer! lol

bltkpo

Juvie Member
Glad I helped a bit! I will be wondering the same thing in a few months time :p So I understand! :)

redsage

Original Poster
Well I went to ask a reptile vet in Edmonton and was told to make an appointment for my beautiful little lucy a few days before we cross the border. I will get an international certificate, costing $65.00 that is good for 30 days only. I will still have to find out about the Canadian side for coming home. As always the information is wishhy washhy! I am told by some that it is no problem with a dragon and others are saying be careful.... I think that as long as I can prove she came from here I will be fine...Though I am still researching the topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikeb
Top Bottom