Toothless?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazul

I know some you of Beardie mum and dads who either have or have had some beardies getting up there in their years. Today, after his brumation, I gave my male beardie, Cal, a bath. As he was licking his lips after getting a nice big drink, I realized that he doesn't have his teeth anymore. It's literally gummy lining anymore. Cal is about 6.5 years old and hasn't seemed interested in food yet, could that be why? Is losing their teeth a normal thing for bearded dragons as they get older (just like any other animal)?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Does Cal still have his main front tooth for mashing food? I don't have experience with older dragons so I'm afraid I can't be of much help, but there are folks on here who have and will probably know. I'm interested in the answer to this one.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Since the side/back teeth are fused to the jaw, I don't think loosing them is a normal age thing. If you can get him to gape so you can peek in his mouth, check to see if the teeth are there and that there is no swelling, redness, discoloration or other such things. I would take him to the vet if anything looks off about his mouth tissue and/or he continues not to eat, as it may be serious. If it's painful to chew/eat he probably will not have much appetite, and if the jaw is damaged it could become infected.

How is his calcium supplementation? Is his jaw nice and firm?

Kazul

Original Poster
There's no discoloration or growths or anything of abnormality in him and his mouth is as firm as it always was. Other than I don't see his teeth anymore. It's like they had been filed away or something while he was sleeping. We make sure that the supers and his greens are dusted with calcium when we feed him. It doesn't seem to bother him any.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smallfry_Zoey
Top Bottom