Toothless is Bugging me out. HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mavrick813

Hatchling Member
Ok, so as everyone who has followed my threads knows I have had Toothless for a few weeks now. He's eating up wards of 75 Crix a day, Less if I have ReptiWorms or Wax worms as well. All live food is dusted with Vitamins and Calcium. That being said Toothless will not under any circumstances take salad on his own. I have found my Diet has taken a GRAND change for the Green stuff lately but Toothless isn't interested in living a healthy lifestyle.

Things I've tried:
Collards, Mustard Greens, Turnip Greens, Scallion Tops, Cucumber, Strawberry, Squash, Banana, Romaine, Raspberries, Peas, Apple Sauce, Green Beans, Squash Baby Food, Bell Pepper, Blue Berries, Black Berries, Cabbage and Carrots.

I've also tried the whole dabbing something on his nose, Baby food, and Juice with no success of him wanting to lick it off.

I did however trick him into eating some Strawberry while he was eating Reptiworms. And then he started pushing the bits of berry aside and focusing on just the worms. I have a Crix Shaker that the Crix can crawl out of a small opening at the top. I took Shredded greens and blocked the hole so the Crix would have to crawl through the greens to get out. He got one nibble of greens and shook his head till he got it out of his mouth and went on to devour a dozen Crix in 10 seconds flat.

Also another thing I noticed about him that I find weird, He doesn't Glass Dance per se'. But he does like to rush the glass when you walk up fast. But mostly he just basks under his UVB in his 92*F zone as close to the Reptisun 10.0 UVB as he can get. He's not big on the 105* zone even after he eats. Only evidence I ever see of him in that zone is when I have to clean up his poo as he poos their 2x daily give or take. What really intrigues me is that when I take him out I normally find a place and plop myself down and set him on my lap, He doesn't budge. If I set him on the couch he doesn't budge. If I poke him in the rear area he will dart up the back of the couch and park by the windows and stay their. But he doesn't move other then that. I read all these threads about Dragons exploring and hiding under beds and sofas. But Toothless doesn't seem like he could care less. Now don't get me wrong, He goes nuts chasing Crix around his enclosure. He stalks them and everything. And he scatters all over the place in the sink when I bath him. But is it normal for him to just park and not move everywhere else?

And suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Mavrick813

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So, Nothing huh? Another day passed and I couldn't get him to try any other veg...

If anyone has Ideas I'd love to hear them...

Mike

Mediabandit

Sub-Adult Member
A veg that my beardie Havoc loves is Bok Choy. Just cut the leaves up into small pieces into his bowl and try that. Havoc started eating it at 8 weeks old and has never gotten tired of it. I have offered him every other type of recomended veg on the beautifuldragon site and he will eat most of them but always goes for the Bok Choy first.

Mavrick813

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'm not anxious, just tryin to find out how to get a dragon that is over a year and has never had salad to try eating anything that isn't moving. I have all these ingredients available for the most part because I have a 6 year old Sulcotta Tort that eats many of the same things. What I've been doing is chopping up the ingredients and placing a table spoon of each one in a small dish and offering that for the day. The next day I'd try a different set. Toothless has not touched a single bite of salad on his own.

Mike

Mavrick813

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I haven't tried Bok Choy. So maybe I'll pick some up and see how he reacts to that. I'm not worried about him now eating, as he devours 50-70 dusted Crix daily, + ReptiWoms. I'd just like to get some variety going and he doesn't seem interested.

Mike

Mavrick813

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
silverado991":3p3y12ru said:
With the improvement of multuvitamins salads are not life threatening by any means hell take it when he wants it mine go for collards readily but I had to handfeed constantly

Thanks! I will keep offering him a small salad every day and trick him into eating a bit of fruit here and their as I've done before. Hopefully I get to watch him jump down from his basking spot and just dig into something other then Creep Crawlies one day.

Mike

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
If he is a decent size and weight, let him get hungry. Instead of letting him go to town on feeders, offer salad in the morning and reduce the feeders to one mall serving late in the day. If he gets hungry enough, he will start trying what is available and that will be salad.

Mavrick813

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AtlasStrike":3982p4ry said:
If he is a decent size and weight, let him get hungry. Instead of letting him go to town on feeders, offer salad in the morning and reduce the feeders to one mall serving late in the day. If he gets hungry enough, he will start trying what is available and that will be salad.

Yeah, I have read about the tough love methods and have done so with Finicky Ferrets and Pups but never a Dragon as Toothless is the first I've ever had. Reasons I have avoided this is because he's at least 14 Months old (Uncertain how old but at least). And he's only 11". He's not Fat or anything. But he's very undersized. He looks to be about 5-6 months old but I know for certain he's at least 14 months old.

Mike

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
In that case, do what I did with my Charlie (who was over a year and 12" when I got him): treat him like a baby. I gave Charlie salads in the mornings, and the 5-6 hours later he got his first buggy meal. He got a second feeding of bugs 2 hours before lights out, but he still got to sit with his salad all day without any feeders. He isn't a big salad eater, but he will eat a few bites here and there.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
This is a weird idea, but have you left the salad greens in his viv long enough for them to be crunchy? Some of our dragons, especially Chief, will go back the next day to crunch on them.

Mavrick813

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I actually did do that last night, found the tip on another site just googling "How to get a dragon to eat salad" He didn't touch it for 2 hours after the lights went on, I then prepped a small fresh salad and put that in their in the same bowl next to the crunchy one and still nothing after another 2 hours. Took him out for his 20 minute bath and put him back in for another hour and still nothing. Then he got his Crix and went nuts hunting them down...

Mike

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
The dragon I rescued doesn't eat his salad, either. He was gaping this morning and I stuck a piece in his mouth and he got mad at me. lol

Mavrick813

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ShannyBeard":rsix72gl said:
The dragon I rescued doesn't eat his salad, either. He was gaping this morning and I stuck a piece in his mouth and he got mad at me. lol

That's how I trick him into eating Berries, I've got a few pieces of greens in this way too, And got a couple of shots of juice in using a dropper. The G/F says I'm nuts, to just leave it in their if he wants it he'll take it.. But I don't think he knows that it tastes good or is good for him. I'm pretty certain that the people I got him from never introduced him to anything but Crickets and SuperWorms. I'll give him credit he Loves himself some ReptiWorms. I'm hoping he takes to Dubia, Otherwise I'll have a Very large thriving colony for nothing.

Mike

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
HAHA well if he doesn't like dubia, you will just have to get another dragon...otherwise all those roaches will go to waste. LOL

Mavrick813

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ShannyBeard":3fdk1sxa said:
HAHA well if he doesn't like dubia, you will just have to get another dragon...otherwise all those roaches will go to waste. LOL

NOT Funny. Grrr LOL

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adhdogtraining
Top Bottom