Too small??*UPDATED WITH PICS***

Status
Not open for further replies.

babyelvissocute

Sub-Adult Member
Hi everyone! I'm beginning to think that Elvis is a bit too tiny for his age. He is just over a year old, and is 16 inches from nose to end of tail. I dont know how much he weighs, but its about the weight of maybe a banana. He eats salad regulary, one in the morning and one at night, and has crickets two or three times a week. He also eats wax worms 3 times a week, about 4 or 5 worms at a time. I also give him calcium and baths regulary. I think he might be in brumation, as he stays in his log or sandbox most of the day, only to come out to eat or bask for a little while. He poops regulary, also. (once a day) He's in a 40 gallon tank, with a Reptisun flouresnt tube and a 100 watt white bulb for basking. Basking temp is 102-104, surface temp is 98 and cool side is 85-90. I dont know if you need too know all that, but im just wondering if he is too tiny for his age or if something is wrong. My friend has a bearded dragon the same age, and is much bigger and heavier than Elvis, and that beardie doesnt even get fed on a regukar basis! Well, thanks for your help,
~Kaitlyn and Elvis~

ashesc212

Sub-Adult Member
babyelvissocute":828da said:
Hi everyone! I'm beginning to think that Elvis is a bit too tiny for his age. He is just over a year old, and is 16 inches from nose to end of tail. I dont know how much he weighs, but its about the weight of maybe a banana. He eats salad regulary, one in the morning and one at night, and has crickets two or three times a week. He also eats wax worms 3 times a week, about 4 or 5 worms at a time. I also give him calcium and baths regulary. I think he might be in brumation, as he stays in his log or sandbox most of the day, only to come out to eat or bask for a little while. He poops regulary, also. (once a day) He's in a 40 gallon tank, with a Reptisun flouresnt tube and a 100 watt white bulb for basking. Basking temp is 102-104, surface temp is 98 and cool side is 85-90. I dont know if you need too know all that, but im just wondering if he is too tiny for his age or if something is wrong. My friend has a bearded dragon the same age, and is much bigger and heavier than Elvis, and that beardie doesnt even get fed on a regukar basis! Well, thanks for your help,
~Kaitlyn and Elvis~

Hello. Can you possibly post a pic so that we can better help you?

Do you offer crickets daily?

babyelvissocute

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
sorry but this is the most recent one i have

and he usually has crickets every other or every two days, we usually go through about 150-200 a week.

ashesc212

Sub-Adult Member
Hopefully someone can chime in soon. It could just be natural for him to have a smaller stature. I would make sure to give him crickets daily. Are you gutloading the crickets?

Also, wax worms may not be the best worm choice. They are very fatty and are really only supposed to be treats. More nutritious substitutes would be silkworms, phoenix worms, hornworms, and superworms, to name a few.

Has he lost weight at all since he started brumating? If so, he could have parasites.

babyelvissocute

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks i will try to offfer daily. I was using pheniox worms but he didnt seem to like them so i switched to those wax worms cuz they were fatty. And no, he hasnt lost weight since brumating it actually seems like hes gaining more, so thats a good thing. Maybe he is just naturally small.
Thanks,
~Kaitlyn and Elvis~

nikkicostello89

Sub-Adult Member
Wow! He loooks tiny in that pic, he looks like my 5/6 month old who is 11 inches! Is it a really old pic?

I have a female who is 17 months and she is only 16.5in from nose to tail tip, but she's filling out sideways now and has a much bigger head than yours in that pic. She's the one in my sig.

There's nothing wrong with her anyway, which is why i'm posting, i think like the previous poster said that some are just naturally smaller than others. She also didn't have a great start in life, but when we got her at 10 months old she had a growth spurt and put on lots of weight, she now weighs 320g, and is gaining at about 1-3g a week. Did you get yours as a baby or when he was a little older, as the first couple of months are crucial to their growing development - just a thought.

Nikki :)

Zabren

Yeah i purchased a female dragon from a breeder a few years ago and about four months later bought one of the brothers from the breeder and my female was probably twice as big as the male because i was taking better care mine. At a year old he was only 16.5 inches and his sister 19 inches and fuller...

amylee159

Gray-bearded Member
I wouldnt worry too too much on the length (my one is 18.5" and my rescue is 16.5") but he could fill out a bit. :)

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Redrock didn't reach 16 inches until about 3 or 4 months after she turned one year old. She never reached 17" in length. I wouldn't worry. If he's healthy and not loosing weight, the short length is fine. He's just on the short length of normal.

nikkicostello89

Sub-Adult Member
just wanted to ask a question, may help the OP as well, do their heads still get really big if they're small? They get that 'adult' look about them when they get their big head...i was just wondering because dizzie's is still fairly small.

Thank you,

Nikki

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brikev9799
Top Bottom