too sleepy in the morning to eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kai

We are moving into the winter months and our 4 1/2 mo old beardie has been more sleepy. The lights go on (with a timer) at 6:30 in the morning but he is sleeping in his hide and sometimes doesn't come out until 7:00 or 8:00 (sometimes with our help) and then we have to leave for work or school and sometimes he won't eat before we leave, or he'll only eat 1 cricket - then when we get home after school/work he is starving. So he's really only getting 1 feed a day (he'll eat 5-7 crickets in the afternoon feed). Any suggestions?

He is in a 3 foot tank with a reptile UVB light, a 100 watt bulb during the day and a 60 watt light at night. Usually with this set up the basking temp might be 35 degrees. Sometimes I turn on the night light as well and then temps will be around 40 degrees.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Hi there,
Dragons often need well over an hour to warm up before they can think about eating. I know Ruben will not eat until he has been awake and basking for at least an hour and a half.
I would recommend turning his lights on earlier, perhaps 5.30 or 6 to make sure he is properly warmed by the time you go to feed him.
Ruben has recently started to try to sleep in, so his lights go on at 7.30-8 when my boyfriend gets up and I remove his hide at half 8 when I get up so he is ready for a feed before I have to leave.

Holly

Lennifer

Juvie Member
I agree with Holly about the lighting. I would def try to have the lights be on for atleast an hour before you feed him, to give him a chane to warm up so he can digest his food.

I'm not sure where u are located but if u are moving into the winter months, he could be getting ready to go into brumation. How old is he?

What kind of UVB light are u using? U said that with his current set up that the basking spot temp is @ 35 degrees?? If your beardie is younger then a year, he will need a basking spot temp between 95-115 & for an adult it can be from 90-105.

You said that soemtimes u turn on a night light? U will only need to provide heat (no light) at night if your house temps drop below 65 degrees. If this is the case...u can purchase a Ceramic Heat Emitter for night time use. The emitter will provide only heat, no light. Your beardie should have a cool down period @ night with less heat & no lighting @ all.

~Sandy

Tigg

Juvie Member
Be sure to also turn the lights out 1 hour earlier if you decide to change the timer. Going into winter they will need anywhere from 12-14 hours of dark at a minimum.

Also your basking temps @ 35 seem a little low, you will want to get them up to around 40-44*C for proper digestion.

Kai

Original Poster
Thanks everyone

The 100 watt light gave proper heating during the summer and autumn, from 38 - 42 degrees celcius but now that it is cooler, it's not heating up as well. I think I'll try and find a 120 watt light. I'll also try the suggestion of turning on the lights earlier at 5:30 am so then he'll go to bed at 6:30 pm but that only gives him 11 h sleep - and I read somewhere that he needs a couple of hours to digest his afternoon feed which happens around 4:30 or 5 pm. Kai is I think about 4 or 5 months old and head to tail he is about 21 cm.

Tigg

Juvie Member
11 hours of sleep is not enough, especially going into winter for you...

Have you considered leaving water and salad throughout the day and feeding the protein at night? This would also allow you to alot more light time around your schedule and give you more time to spend with your beardie which he's awake!

Kai

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your help.
I've got a 150 watt bulb now and changed the timers to on at 6 am and off at 6 pm. The temps this morning were 40-42.
This morning he was up and about looking very alert when I got up at 7. He actively chased down 6 crickets this morning before work and school.
We usually do leave water for him every day (although I've never seen him drink from it). We usually put him on the edge of the water bowl and drip water onto his nose with our finger. He prefers that to the misting. He usually ignores the veggies I leave out for him. The pet store people said he may not be interested until he is closer to 6 months old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom