Too much calcium?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FJM

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I definitely change them when needed but kind of worried (or i was) that i may have had a bad bulb. I was just really reaching for an answer though, but i don't think that's it now. I had to come to work this morning but i'm being sent home to take care of my baby as soon as i finish payroll (i work for some great people!) and i'll get her outside when i get home. Yesterday it seemed to bother her though, so not sure how long i'll make her stick to it.

I have increased her temps since i was told they need to be higher but that also makes me worry that she's dehydrating faster...kind of a vicious circle.
She had a hard time pooping this morning and now there's a bit of blood in her stool. She was very listless after that...very heartbreaking...got to get back to work so i can get out of here.

Thanks for your reply!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Florrie,

How is she doing today?
What did you increase the temperatures to?
I am glad you decreased the calcium, I feel that was way too high with it being a 23% solution.
How much blood are we talking about, a lot of just a little? I hope it was just from her straining & not something else.
Are her fat pads still sunken?
Initially, I think they should look at liver function & pancreatic function (higher glucose levels), egg development/binding, or maybe a parathyroid issue which could be causing calcium malabsorption.

Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

FJM

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi Tracie,

She's about the same this afternoon, with a little more activity but same black beard...I had her outside for more than 2 hours and she did walk around a bit and swam in the bath (no more poops today other than a smidgen of urates in her bath).

I'm not sure how to describe the amount of blood since it was in water. It looked like a lot and there was some dried blood in the stool part of it though (a small blackish portion). It wasn't like a hemorrhage of blood though.

Yes, her fat pads are still sunken...no change to those, they're worse either.

I'll make that comment about her liver at the next visit, thanks again!!!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Florrie,

I am happy to hear she enjoyed the time in her bath outside. Does she have a black beard a lot inside, too?
I am wondering if perhaps something was missed on the fecal, did they do a fecal smear or a fecal float?
I hope that the liver isn't causing any blood or something else.
When are you taking her back to the vets?
Do you have any pictures of her also you could post just so we could see her condition?
Can you think of anything that could be impacting her? Could she have injured herself somehow, which was causing the limping of the leg?

Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

FJM

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The black beard is a contstant right now, even in her sleep :(

I'm not really sure what was done for the fecal. I'm taking her in this morning for more fluids but it's not a regular appointment, but i'll ask about the test. Yes, i can post pics. I'll post one that the I took the day i came home and noticed her fat pads were sunken. I'll post another pic later of how she is today, after she's up (trying to give her some extra zzz's)

FJM

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well, not sure the vet visit went well or not. They insisted on including the calcium when giving her fluids this morning but they didn't add glucose this time. It's hard to argue with them when they're doing their best too :? The good news is she just had a small movement with no blood. After the fluids her weight was 404g. (at Thursday's vet visit she was down to 390g and up to 400g after the fluids).

And the fecal was a flotation.

I can't think of anything that could be impacting her, but I do let her walk around the main floor a lot on her own and she could've picked up something that i didn't notice. She did eat a bug outside shortly before this started but i didn't get a good look at it. The part of it that i saw looked like a mud-wasp (the black ones with long legs).

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Florrie,

Ok, that is good they didn't include the glucose. I hope they didn't put too much calcium in the fluids for her.
She does look rather dehydrated, just based on her eyes. Her poor black beard, too.
The flotation usually catches most things but a smear could catch a few other things that may be missed with a flotation.
The black wasp could have affected her. Did she change behavior close to that time frame then?
Some insects can be toxic to them. If you think that could be doing something, maybe request some activated charcoal to help her system out.
Let me know the strength of the L-carnitine solution you got & I can get her dosed. It is liquid, correct?

At least her weight did go up with the fluids though, that is good. I am glad to hear she hasn't had any blood today, so far.
I noticed on her right arm, is it going to shed, possibly it is whitish & looks a bit swollen? Are any other areas such as her hands, feet, etc looking swollen or not?
Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

FJM

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yes, it was maybe a week or so afterwards that her symptoms started.

The L-Carnitine isn't in liquid form. They only had capsules that you can pull apart. They're 500mg...yup, going to be hard to measure.

No, i don't think its a shed, and not sure if it's swollen or where her skin is kinda loose right now, where she's down in weight.

thanks Tracie!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Florrie,

I will email you with the L-carnitine instructions, it will be easy to dose.
So the arm doesn't look swollen then? I hope not.
I wonder if the bug bothered her a little bit?
Also, she could have hurt herself, which could be causing distress too.

How is she doing this evening, is she sleeping now?
Keep us posted.

Tracie

FJM

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
She's not eating again today although if i start to force feed her she'll lap a little bit, i was able to feed her .9ml of formula/squash but no meds today.

She did get a good night's sleep and she just seems to want to rest today and be held so that's what we're doing.

I don't have an appt but i'm hoping to get her in to see her regular vet on Tuesday, pretty sure he's back then, and i'll go over everything we've discussed, possibly get more xrays of her vent area.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Florrie,

Thanks, I will email you back tonight.
That is good you spent the day with her, giving extra attention for her since she wasn't really wanting to bask much but just rest. At least she did get some sleep last night.
I am glad you got some food into her though, hopefully that will help out.

I hope you are able to get her in to see the vet again, to see what else they can discuss.

Talk to you soon.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sage_1207
Top Bottom